Lindsey hired as volleyball coach

Larese announced her resignation in January after serving as the program's first full-time head coach for 17 seasons.

"I'm thrilled to come to Dartmouth," Lindsey said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "My husband and I came up to visit earlier this week and we really fell in love with Hanover. I was impressed by the vision of [Sheehy] and the support from the College and [College President Jim Yong Kim] to have great athletic teams."

The College's academic reputation and commitment to the student-athlete experience motivated Lindsey's acceptance of the position, she said.

"I really appreciate the balance of athletics and great academics," she said. "One of the main things and I think this already exists at Dartmouth is valuing the student athlete, and serving the students to provide the best experience possible in their careers, allowing them all the opportunities Dartmouth College provides, but also the opportunity to win on the volleyball court."

Lindsey will arrive in Hanover after spending five seasons as an assistant coach at UNC, where she helped lead the Tar Heels to two Atlantic Coast Conference championships.

Lindsey also played for UNC as an undergraduate, becoming the program's all-time assists leader.

She was named the ACC Player of the Year in 1998, leading the Tar Heels to a conference title and to the NCAA tournament's second round.

"I'm not looking to change what Coach Larese has done, but rather build on it and compete for Ivy League championships," Lindsey said. "I've been a part of four ACC championships as a player and coach at UNC."

Although Dartmouth has not finished higher than fourth in the League since 1998, Lindsey said she believes the team can compete for conference championships on a yearly basis.

Lindsey added that she will attempt to create an exciting program on the court.

"I'm hoping to bring a fast offensive system, which should be fun for the players and fun to watch," she said.

Meghan Cooney '14 said that she is looking forward to the opportunity of playing for Lindsey.

"I really liked her philosophy about volleyball and how she coaches," Cooney said. "She wants us to work harder and be more motivated to play each team. She basically thinks that if you have the talent, you just have to play smarter and work harder, and we can beat any team that we play."

The Big Green is coming off a 14-11 season in which it won just five League games and placed sixth in the conference standings.

The varsity volleyball program, which became a fully-funded NCAA team in 1994, has not won a League championship since its inception in 1989.

Lindsey said she is optimistic that she can reverse Dartmouth's fortunes, noting that she is excited to work with an experienced roster that graduated only two seniors this season.

"It's rare for a coach to have such a veteran group of seniors in their first year that are really talented and really strong," Lindsey said. "It's a great position to be in."

The team's core includes Madeline Baird '12, whose 3.74 kills-per-game ranked second in the League in 2010. Baird was named to the Second Team All-Ivy in 2009 and 2010.

Lindsey said she appreciates the progress the Big Green made under Larese.

"I think that there's a challenge in any new coaching job, especially when you're replacing someone who built the program from scratch," Lindsey said. "I'm really impressed with how she built the program."

Cooney said she is optimistic about the Big Green's direction under Lindsey, although she acknowledged that the team may initially feel "weird" in the absence of Larese.

"We've never had any other coach, but the team really wants to work hard and win next year," Cooney said. "It'll take some getting used to, but I think she'll do well."