June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

One-on-One

I sat down with women's swimmer Charlotte Williams '13, who holds the Dartmouth record in the 400-yard individual medley. Williams, who was unable to fully compete last year due to a hip labral tear, has rebounded to perform well individually this season and contribute to the team's improvement.

How long have you been swimming? What got you started?

CW: I have been swimming on a competitive club team since I was four. I've had practice every day for 16 years. I started [two-a-day practices] when I was in seventh grade.

How has the season been going for you? I saw that you swam 1:06.9 in the 100-yard breaststroke, which is really close to your personal best.

CW: The season's been going really well. I had a rocky start Fall term, but as of the past couple meets I've been achieving my best in-season times ever. I think that largely has to do with how much we train in the fall.

What do you hope to achieve with the rest of your season and at the upcoming Ivy League Championships?

CW: I'm trying to go for the two breaststroke school records and break my own record in the 400-yard individual medley. I was injured last year so I think I can go faster, I've been doing a lot more stroke training.

Do swimmers have a team mentality when it comes to big meets and championships or does it feel more individually competitive?

CW: For relays, it's obviously for the team. But mainly I'd say it's individual. When you swim badly, those times only affect your training and practice. There's no one you can blame but yourself.

How has the team been doing compared to last year?

CW: We're doing much better. Last year we only won two meets and beat no [League teams]. This year we have a winning record and have a good chance at [the League Championships]. There have been a lot of in-season best times. Overall, on the women's team especially, the team was really small last year. And now with so many new freshmen, the attitude is much better and people are more excited about it.

The breaststroke is your specialty, but are there any other events you like to compete in?

CW: I actually think breaststroke is the hardest my least favorite to train, but my favorite to race in. It's the slowest, so you're always trailing behind in practice. I really like the [individual medley] because it's all of the strokes combined.

How many hours a week would you say you clock at the pool each week?

CW: According to NCAA policy, 20 hours!

What on earth do you think about when you're swimming all those laps?

CW: A lot of people count, focus on times. For me it's a major stress relief. If I'm having a bad day, swimming is a time I can process everything. It is just you, yourself and the black line at the bottom of the pool. I like it because I feel a lot better than when I got there.

Morning practice is at 6 a.m. three times a week. Why do you swimmers punish yourself like that? Or have you all become "morning people"?

CW: I really don't like morning practice. I would rather do four hours in the afternoon than two separate practices.

So is that the hardest part about being on the swim team?

CW: No, I'd say the hardest part is the time commitment. We're pretty much off campus every weekend. It's hard not seeing friends who aren't on the team and not being able to participate in things.

Your team gained some outstanding freshmen this year, including Katy Feng '14 and twins Danielle Kerr '14 and Christine Kerr '14. How have they fit in with the rest of the team?

CW: Amazing. They are an incredible addition. They fit in so well, no problems, they're fast and they're all really fun and upbeat. They put a lot of life into the team, much needed after last year.

So what makes you swim? Why do it?

CW: I love to race. The high that I get from racing is unlike any other.

How long do you see yourself swimming?

CW: I see swimming as a part of my life forever it's training that I can always jump in the pool and do. It's a low-impact sport.