June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Big Green basketball falters, losing slew of weekend games

02.28.11.sports.bball.horizont
02.28.11.sports.bball.horizont

The men's team has now lost nine straight contests since its last League win, a 64-57 victory over Cornell University on Jan. 28.

The Big Green men fell to the Bulldogs (14-12, 7-5 Ivy) in overtime on Friday, 79-75, although Dartmouth came close to beating the Bulldogs at Lee Amphitheater for the first time in 12 years. Yale has won 19 of the last 22 games it has played against Dartmouth.

"We missed too many free throws and this cost us the game," guard David Rufful '12 said.

Rufful recorded nine points in 19 minutes of play.

"Yale is a good basketball team, especially when they play at their own court," Gediminas Bertasius '14 said. "Everybody who got into the game did a decent job. We just needed to shoot better from the free-throw line and the game would have been ours."

Ronnie Dixon '11 scored 18 points in his second game since returning to the Big Green after a hand injury, but could not help Dartmouth prevail down the stretch.

"I think that we have the talent to beat any team in our league," Dixon said. "But we just have to be more consistent each game and play at the level we are capable of playing."

Yale used a significant size advantage to counter Dartmouth's strong effort.

"I think the team really rose to the challenge against Yale," Rufful said. "They have one of the best players in the Ivy League [junior forward] Greg Mangano but our senior, [Clive Weeden '11], was able to limit his offensive effectiveness for most the game."

Dartmouth suffered a letdown the following night, falling to Brown (11-15, 4-8 Ivy) in Dartmouth's last regular-season road game, 100-76.

"It was their senior night and we knew that their emotions would be high," Dixon said. "In order for us to win that game on the road, we needed to match their intensity level, and I don't think we did a very good job of doing that."

Although four Big Green players scored in double figures, Brown shot 51.8 percent from the floor to defeat the Big Green.

At home, the Big Green's women's team suffered a similar fate. The Big Green lost to Yale (13-13, 9-3 Ivy) on Friday, 70-45, before being edged out by Brown (8-18, 4-8 Ivy) on Saturday, 56-55.

The Big Green shot only 27.8 percent from the field against the Bulldogs.

"We're disappointed," head coach Chris Wielgus said. "They schooled us in transition we haven't been able to get back in transition."

Yale shot 45.5 percent in the first half, while Dartmouth only shot 26.9 percent. Yale was able to build an 18-point lead by the end of the half.

"We missed some easy shots in the beginning," Wielgus said. "We had layups that were missed. We dug ourselves a hole we couldn't get out of. Their physicality took a toll."

Yale began the game with a 9-0 run, which included three three-point shots. Wielgus said the Big Green played sloppy defense, noting that "there wasn't room for error" against a good Yale team.

Injuries continue to plague the Big Green, which is still missing starters Brittney Smith '11 and Nicola Zimmer '14.

"We are still missing our point guard and our center," Wielgus said. "We are missing the best player in the Ivy League, [Smith]."

Dartmouth narrowly lost to Brown in a heartbreaking senior night game. Guard Megan McFee '11 recorded her second career-double-double in the losing effort, scoring 19 points to go along with 12 rebounds.

The women's team will play Princeton University on Friday and the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday in its final road games of the season, while the men's team will host Princeton on Friday and Penn on Saturday to close out its season.