Wagner chosen as new soccer coach

After a month-long search process that involved both athletes and coaches, former Stanford University assistant coach Theresa Wagner was named the new women's soccer head coach on Friday. She succeeds former head coach Angie Hind, who left the program in December to work for the Scottish Football Association after six years as coach of the Big Green.

Wagner, who graduated from the University of Washington in 2001 with a bachelor's degree in business, was a four-time All-Pac-10 selection as a player. She led her collegiate program to a Pac-10 title and its first number one ranking in her senior year, according to DartmouthSports.com

After graduation, Wagner went on to play professionally for the San Jose CyberRays in the Women's United Soccer Association for three seasons, winning a league championship in 2001.

Before Wagner became an assistant coach at Stanford, she was the top assistant coach for the University of San Diego from 2003 to 2007. Her tenure included three NCAA tournament appearances and, at its height, the team rose to a number nine spot in the national rankings. She was also head coach with the San Diego Surf under-17 club, which earned a number one national ranking and captured regional championships and the State Cup.

After she moved to Stanford in 2008, Wagner was heavily involved in national recruiting for the Stanford Cardinal, which accumulated a combined 70-4-3 record. The Cardinal made three straight NCAA College Cups, two NCAA national title games and won two Pac-10 titles.

Wagner succeeds Hind, whose 54 wins are the second most of any head coach in the program's history. Dartmouth finished second in the Ivy League this past season, with a conference record of 4-2-1.

After Hind announced her resignation, the team discussed what it wanted in a potential replacement, according to forward Aly O'Dea '12. When the list of top candidates was narrowed down to three, the candidates were interviewed by the team's players.

Goalkeeper Anna Chinco '12 and O'Dea, who were both involved in the interviews, said they were impressed by Wagner's self-assuredness, strong personality and candor.

"She comes from a very strong tradition of winning and that was huge," O'Dea said. "She also has a lot of confidence in the mentality she approaches soccer with."

O'Dea said players are prepared to meet the continued high expectations that Wagner will likely bring to the team.

"She's definitely going to push us, and we're definitely going to have to work really hard," O'Dea said. "But I definitely think she can get the most of our team's potential."

O'Dea added that she hopes Wagner can help the team find a new identity on the field.

"I think she'll definitely develop a distinctive style of play," O'Dea said. "We want to make teams adjust to our style of play."

Although Wagner will likely add new assistant coaches in the near future, assistant coach Kelly Kuss has been training the team in the interim between head coaches.

"[Kuss has] had a lot on her plate and [has] done a fantastic job," Chinco said.

Players interviewed by The Dartmouth said they are hopeful that Kuss will be retained on the new coaching staff.

"There is plenty of time to figure things out," Chinco said. "We're excited about [Wagner] and moving on in the direction we're headed."

Wagner could not be reached for comment by press time.