McManus '11, Scott '11 named to academic All-Star team

01.06.11.sports.mcmanus
01.06.11.sports.mcmanus

"This was really unexpected, but definitely a tremendous honor," McManus who is also a team captain said. "It was so exciting and a great honor to be named along with Tanner. I know he's been my example for the last few years with his dedication, determination and work habits both on and off the field."

The FCSADA honors football players who perform well on the field and in the classroom. To be eligible for the awards, athletes must be at least sophomores and have been a starter or a standout member of their team. Candidates must also have played in their nominated position for at least 50 percent of games, and have a minimum grade point average of 3.20.

Scott, who was not recruited out of high school to play for Dartmouth, began his collegiate football career as a walk-on his freshman spring. Playing in nine games this season, Scott caught 21 passes for 309 yards and scored a touchdown, making him the Big Green's third leading receiver. His impressive numbers this year including a four-catch game in a 24-21 victory over Columbia University helped elevate him to among Dartmouth's top 25 players of all-time in career receptions and receiving yardage.

"I wasn't recruited out of high school, but football has always been a passion of mine, so freshman spring I decided to try to walk on," Scott said. "I never expected to eventually become a starter and get to contribute to the team. It's been a great ride."

Scott's academic talent has also garnered praise off the field. As an economics major with a 3.83 GPA, he was selected for the Capital One Academic All-District I team and was a William Campbell Award semifinalist. Scott also received the Alan Hewitt '34 and Robert Hewitt '40 Award from the Dartmouth football program for his ability to combine athletic performance with academic achievement.

"I think that most athletes would tell you that sports really add a structure and balance to life," Scott said. "It becomes part of your routine."

McManus a history major with a 3.48 GPA led the Big Green in catches and receiving yardage, collecting 528 yards from 38 receptions. Despite suffering a broken leg that kept him on the sidelines in the 2009 season, McManus came back strong and nabbed at least three passes in every Ivy League game this year. He closed out the season by beating Princeton University with a 69 yard touchdown reception.

McManus' accomplishments this season earned him All-Ivy First Team honors. His statistics place him near the top of Dartmouth's all-time receiving lists seventh in career receptions with 126 completions and sixth in receiving yards, running approximately 1,500 yards.

Reflecting his on-and-off the field achievements, McManus was also honored with the Manners Makyth Man Award an award given each year to the Big Green player who displays sportsmanship and conducts himself "to the advantage of Dartmouth," according to a press release.

"He is not only a talented football player, but he played an integral role in my maturation on and off the field," Scott said of McManus.

Because McManus missed significant playing time due to injury last season and Scott was not on the team his freshman season, both players filed waivers with the College to be able to return to the team next fall. McManus' request was granted, but Scott's request was denied yesterday. The decision which Scott is appealing was made because waiver requests are usually only granted for time missed due to injury or missionary work, Scott said.

"I think it's a legitimate argument and it would mean so much to have him back," McManus said of Scott's appeal. "I'm excited to be back next season with all of the talent, to get a chance to rebuild and take this program back to the top. It's a great opportunity and we hope to capitalize on it."

McManus said that he is appreciative that his own request was accepted.

"The decision was certainly a blessing," McManus said. "I know it would be scary to look into the real world next year. I'm lucky that I get to play football for one more year because I'll have the rest of my life to work."