Women's soccer ends season on a five-game unbeaten streak

11.08.10.sports.wsoccer
11.08.10.sports.wsoccer

Last week, the team had a big 3-2 win over Ivy rival Harvard University, following back-to-back wins against the University of Vermont and Columbia University. Coming off a three-game win streak the women were determined to end the season on a high note.

Last year, the Big Green beat Cornell 2-0. This year's win marks the sixth consecutive victory and 15th consecutive unbeaten game against the Big Red for Dartmouth.

The game's only goal came when Aly O'Dea '12 finished a cross into the far post off a pass from Chrissy Lozier '14 in the 67th minute of play.

Co-captain Melisa Krnjaic '11 said she felt the team did whatever it took to win.

"It wasn't a pretty game and was very physical but we pulled out the win which we really needed," she said.

Dartmouth took 15 shots, five on goal. Cornell was only able to get off nine shots, three of which were on goal. Big Green goalie Colleen Hogan '12 achieved her fifth shutout of the season, coming away with three important saves. Goaltender Megan Bartlett made four saves for Cornell.

In the last seconds of the first half, Dartmouth was able to stop two shots, leaving the score 0-0 going into the break. Cornell had three shots and a corner kick in the last five minutes of play. The Big Green defense and Hogan, however, were able to turn away all of Cornell's attacks and hold on for the win.

Head coach Angie Hind said the team did very well in the game, especially since Cornell is a difficult place to travel.

"We went into the game with the right mentality and approach," Hind said. "We wanted to keep winning and our momentum helped us get a great win. The girls did a good job of finishing the season,"

Even though a win could not earn the team the Ivy League Championship, Hind said they played like it could and finished tied for second place with Princeton University.

The team had a challenging year, facing the difficult situation of having a very young squad and many injuries.

"We had higher expectations for ourselves and wanted to win the Ivy League, but, given the situation, the players did a fantastic job challenging for the league and turning things around," Hind said.

Krnjaic agreed, adding that she was pleased with the way the team closed out the season.

"We would have liked to do better earlier in the season, but we won (sic) the last five games with tons of quality and have been playing some of our best soccer recently," she said.

This season's top scorers were Peyton Tata '11, Marina Moschitto '14 and Krnjaic, recording four goals apiece. As a team, Dartmouth outscored its opponents 22-18 this fall.

"The team's five seniors, Sarah Bromley ['11], [co-captain] Katie Davis ['11], Melisa Krnjaic, Peyton Tata and Meagan Tibbo ['11], did a fantastic job leading the program and had a very positive influence on the team. This experience will really benefit us next year," Hind said.

As a senior, Krnjaic said she thinks the team will continue to improve and, hopefully next year, win the Ivy League.

"We have a solid foundation and I have faith in the team to keep getting better," Krnjaic said. "There are so many great memories from my four years but last year's double-overtime win over Princeton [University] stands out."

The team will continue to train this winter and will take more of a break in the spring. Because of the team's youth, the majority of this year's talent will return next season.