Men's soccer falls to Penn, 0-1, in the first four minutes

10.20.10.sports.MensSoccer
10.20.10.sports.MensSoccer

Tied with Yale University, the Big Green (6-4-1, 1-2 Ivy) now sits in fifth place in the Ivy League standings while Penn (10-2, 3-0 Ivy) is tied with Princeton University for first.

"Obviously we are disappointed with where we sit right now," co-captain Daniel Keat '10 said. "It isn't where we envisioned we would be three weeks ago, but the last few years in the Ivy League, five games has won it, so there is still everything to play for. The team is plenty good enough to win out the rest of its games."

The Big Green battled until the end, earning three corner kicks within the last five minutes of play. During the 88th minute, Teo Larsson Sax '13 headed in an equalizer off a corner kick from co-captain Andrew Olsen '11 which was stopped by senior goaltender Ben Berg.

"I think the Penn goalkeeper had a very sound game," head coach Jeff Cook said. "We had two really good chances on corner kicks in the second half that he made very good saves on, so we have to give him some credit."

Despite outshooting the Quakers 9-4, Dartmouth was only able to locate two of those shots on goal and failed to beat Berg.

"We just weren't able to break them down," Keat said. "After they scored, they really sat back which didn't make it easier. We didn't seem to come up with the right ideas to finish them off and get back in the game." All four of Penn's shots were taken in the first half of play, while Dartmouth posted four shots during the second half.

The Big Green saw nine corner kick opportunities during the game, but could not convert any to a score.

"We created several good scoring opportunities," Cook said. "With seven or eight minutes left in the game, we scored but had it ruled off because of a push. We watched it on video in the last couple of days and there was no foul on the play. Unfortunately the ref thought there was. That one really cost us dearly."

Forward Lucky Mkosana '12 topped the field with four of the Big Green's nine shots. He currently leads the Ivy League with 57 shots so far this season and an average of 5.18 shots per game.

Penn freshman forward Stephen Baker trails Mkosana with 43 shots this season and 3.58 shots per game. The Big Green defense held him to just one shot in the game. Baker is also tied for first in goal scoring in the League, posting seven goals so far this season.

Brandt's goal was his third of the season and his second game-winning goal of the year. He was also named Ivy League Player of the Week last week.

The Big Green ranks second against Ivy foes in shots per game, averaging 15. Dartmouth also leads the Ivy League so far this season with 77 corners, while Cornell University trails in second with 65.

On defense, Penn has allowed 0.50 goals on average per game while the Big Green has conceded 1.36 goals per game.

The loss ended Dartmouth's two-game winning streak, with victories against the University of Vermont and Yale University.

With the 1-0 win, the Quakers registered their sixth shut-out of the season. This is Penn's fourth game in a row won by a 1-0 margin and fifth consecutive win.

Dartmouth earned its only shut-out so far this season against the University of New Mexico, 1-0, on Sept. 25.

Penn avenged last year's 3-1 loss to the Big Green, featuring two Big Green goals in the second half, 25 combined penalties and three yellow cards.

Dartmouth will now travel to face Columbia University in the Lions' homecoming game this Saturday in New York.

Columbia (4-7-1, 0-3 Ivy) shutout the Big Green, 2-0, in last year's meeting with two second-half goals.

"We expect a difficult game," Cook said. "Columbia is an exceptionally difficult place to play. They have a coach in his second year trying to rebuild the program."

The Lions, sitting alone at the bottom of the Ivy League standings, enter this year's meeting after three consecutive losses to Ivy foes, including a 1-0 loss to the Quakers two weeks ago.

"I think that it's the little details concentration, set pieces," Keat said about what the team needs to improve before facing Columbia. "If we get those right, we can put in a good performance."