Men's tennis defeats Penn, Harvard

09.30.10.sports.tennis
09.30.10.sports.tennis

"It was a really good tournament," Roby said. "Everyone put up a lot of good, high quality wins over other Ivy players. It is a good indication of where we are as a team. It's a good step for us. We've been training hard but haven't really played in a while, so it's great to see that we're in a good place."

Ghorbani who was unseeded in both his singles and doubles flight beat sophomore Rob Wong of the University of Pennsylvania, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, to win the final.

In the doubles championship game, Roby and Ghorbani took the title over Harvard University when the Crimson team withdrew from the tournament due to an injury.

De Chatellus lived up to his No. 1 ranking in the sixth singles flight, defeating Yale University freshman Zach Dean in straight sets.

He also teamed up with John Kelly '14 in the doubles tournament, where the twosome upset No. 2 Penn before dropping its final match against Brown University, 8-6.

"Although it is an individual tournament, I think you can definitely see where the team is based on the results," Roby said. "I think we proved that we can compete well and be tough on the court. We didn't give any points away, and we played tough. This is one thing that [head coach Christopher] Drake emphasizes. No matter how you're playing, you have to give it all on every point, and I think we did that."

Drake's demand for high intensity play is something that the team has fully embraced, according to De Chatellus.

"I thought that individually and as a team we competed really hard," De Chatellus said. "This is one thing that Drake focuses on and something that we have begun to expect from ourselves. Whether you are playing well or poorly, you can still control your attitude and your competitiveness and never stop trying."

The Big Green will try to keep up the intensity this weekend for the Dartmouth Shootout, the team's first home appearance of the season at the Boss Tennis Center.

Individual players and doubles pairs will be ranked and arranged into flights, a setup similar to most of the tournaments played during the Fall season. The athletes in each flight will compete against each other for the top spot, a position that is attainable for all of the Big Green players, according to Roby.

"I think it would be disappointing if we didn't win all the flights," Roby said. "I think we will be the best team there. It's our goal, and it will be tough because that's a lot of matches to win, but it is doable."

Roby said he feels confident going into his last season at Dartmouth, while the newest members of the team are eager to get their first taste of the Big Green home court advantage.

"It should be fun, and its definitely going to be exciting," Ghorbani said. "It will be my first home match ever, so it will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like. Hopefully, I will be able to compete well and make it a good experience."

While competing and winning are always priorities, Dartmouth continues to put a great deal of emphasis on its long-term improvement, according to Roby.

"As a team, we want to continue a trend of really being the toughest team out there," De Chatellus said. "Having all of us play our flight hard and win matches is important, but we are really just trying to prepare ourselves for the Spring season and our Ivy matches."