Who's who for the fall season

Now that it is officially August (I know, I don't know where the Summer term went either), I can finally start looking ahead to a cherished Dartmouth activity that has been severely lacking this term varsity sports.

But, should you question which sporting games are worth your time and body heat while you cheer on your fellow students this fall, I will now provide you with the "Who's Who" of this fall's athletes to watch.

First up, Dartmouth football.

Defensive end Charles Bay '11 and wide receiver Tim McManus '11 will lead this year's Big Green team to what will hopefully be a better result than last year's 2-8 record, and they certainly have the capability to do so.

Five members of last year's team were named to 2010 Preseason All-Ivy first and second teams, including wide receiver Tanner Scott '11 and running back Nick Schwieger '12 for the offensive roster. This is a good start to a season that will kick off with a game against Bucknell on Sept. 18.

With players like Schwieger who led the Ivy League last year with a rushing average of 78.3 yards per game and Scott who led the Big Green with 45 receptions last year I would count on seeing at least a few more games where we take home the big "W."

Also gearing up for the fall season, but probably with slightly higher expectations than the football team, is the Dartmouth men's soccer team.

Despite a disappointing loss in the first round of the NCAA Championships last year, the soccer team will play this year with a quest to return to its top spot as 2008 Ivy League Champions and NCAA Tournament competitor.

This year, the team luckily has many senior players to count on who can bring the team back with strong performances.

Midfielder Dan Keat '10 will return as a fifth-year senior to co-captain the team along with Andrew Olsen '11. Keat's experience both in controlling the pace of the game from a center-mid position, as well as his ability to push up and score valuable goals, will prove vital this season.

Expect to see a lot more goals too, as I'm sure striker Lucky Mkosana '12 has many more points to rack up. Picking up 24 and 20 points his freshman and sophomore year, respectively, Mkosana not only gets the job done, but does so with so much speed and style that he is sure to get the crowd on its feet over and over again this year.

Meanwhile, the women's soccer team will rely on its athletes who have risen through the ranks and solidified their positions with steady improvements. Aly O'Dea '12 who led the team with nine goals last year and had two during her freshman season is sure to shine this fall.

Women's field hockey is another sport to keep an eye on, as its first exhibition game falls during Summer term when it will take on Harvard on Aug. 25.

Despite not having clinched any league titles of late, Big Green field hockey is filled with potential, including this year's captain Virginia Peisch '11 a German native who brings a European style to the game that focuses on ball play.

Peisch was named to the All-Ivy first team for the past two years, a testament to the talent she will showcase as team leader this season.

Another team to watch is the Dartmouth men's rugby team. Take my advice and weather the long(ish) walk to the rugby fields to see some pretty impressive play.

Captained by Tommy Brothers '11, this team is probably one of the best teams at Dartmouth.

Strong players such as twins Chris Downer '11 and Nick Downer '11 control the flanks and score countless tries, while Brothers is always a reliable conversion kicker.

With hopes to qualify for the National Rugby Championship this year, this team will be filled with energy and will not disappoint.

Of course, if my picks aren't doing much to sway you, there are numerous other options for fall sports including cross country, crew and ice hockey, which opens its extended season this October.

Until then, try to get through the rest of the summer without any scheduled games, but get pumped up for September to roll around.