Upper Valley musicians shine at Saturday's StreetFest

street Fest
7.20.10/arts/streetfest

Throughout the entirety of StreetFest, the crowd seemed to enjoy several bands' performances, as the smattering of chairs facing the makeshift stage was always filled with an enthralled audience consisting of people of all ages bopping their heads along silently to the music. Passersby were not only treated to live music, but also the sight of happy couples, dancing and swaying in the middle of the street.

There to set the mood for StreetFest were various performers recruited from around Hanover. The performances started with Joseph Stallsmith and His Spare Parts, followed by Gina Capossela and Rags Salaam and Sensible Shoes and Friends.

Hanover High School musicians also displayed their musical talents, as they sung covers of popular songs like "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down and "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. With performances by The Screw Tops, Dr. Burma and Jeanne and the Hi-Tops to round out the show, the concert perpetuated the atmosphere of the day relaxed, comfortable and cheerful.

Playing music with obvious blues roots, Sensible Shoes and Friends played songs off its newest album, "My History" including "Stringing Beads," a perky pop tune with a soothing melody and refreshing lyrics.

The band also performed "Bound to Be with You," which had a more traditional rhythmic sound as lead guitarist and vocalist Tim Utt crooned about the pitfalls of falling for a fickle lover. His raspy voice and the song's laid back tempo brought to mind images of the classic summer romance.

Founded by the band's keyboardist and vocalist Barbara Blaisdell over 20 years ago, Sensible Shoes and Friends is made up of Utt on guitar and vocals, Pooh Sprague on bass, guitar and vocals, Steve Drebber on drums and vocals, and Blaisdell.

During her performances, Blaisdell usually wears "sensible shoes," although she said that she has put on her fair share of crazy shoes too.

Sensible Shoes also played "Cut, Split, Delivered," an instrumental piece, and "82nd Street," a song about lovers playing the blues together.

Due to its common blues origins and taste for love songs, Dr. Burma showcased a similar sound to Sensible Shoes throughout its set that featured tracks off its latest album, "One Bite Won't Kill You."

The group did differentiate itself, however, as it incorporated a soul sound to complement its blues feel.

The group performed "The Things We Do," a ballad about famous historical couples and the power of love, which combined Linda Boudreault's powerful voice with a lively jazz accompaniment.

"Cleopatra was the queen of the Nile, ruled the Earth and the sky," Boudreault sang ominously. "Anthony gave her just one smile, and she laid right down and died."

Boudreault has a long background in jazz and has previously played with Dartmouth's Barbary Coast Jazz Ensemble. As a local musician, Boudreault said she was especially pleased with the day's events.

"I'm just glad to be here and making people happy," she said.