Four women's lacrosse players named All-Region

06.01.10.sports.wlax_kasia vincunas
06.01.10.sports.wlax_kasia vincunas

The players goalie Julie Wadland '10, defender Shannie MacKenzie '11, attacker Greta Meyer '11 and midfielder Sarah Plumb '12 represent four of the five players who started each of Dartmouth's 16 games this season.

Only two Big Green players were named to the All-Region team last year.

Wadland said the fact that four members of the Big Green received this honor speaks to the achievement of the team as a whole.

"It's definitely a reflection of the hard work of the entire team," she said. "We would say that any award that any individual gets is really a team award."

Both MacKenzie and Meyer were named to the North Region first team, so they could both potentially earn IWLCA All-American honors. Wadland who is a repeat selection and Plumb were named to the North Region second team.

"There is a good amount of people who get the regional award, but those who do qualify for a chance to get to the All-American team," Wadland said.

MacKenzie has been a key player for the Big Green since she joined the team her freshman year. She has never missed a game, and only once has she not started.

This year, despite the fact that Dartmouth's schedule was stronger than ever, the MacKenzie-led Dartmouth defense remained a low-scoring unit. With only an average of 7.94 goals per game, the Big Green was fifth place on a nation-wide scale for low-scoring defenses.

In addition, MacKenzie contributed 30 captured ground balls and 24 forced turnovers for the season, good for second place on the team in both categories.

Meyer, also a first team All-Ivy selection, has utilized her new position as an attacker to propel her to success. Her nomination for a Tewaaraton Award speaks to her exceptional season, as does her return to the All-North Region team after achieving a spot on the second team her freshman year.

Meyer's 35 goals were enough to earn her the top scorer title for the Big Green, and she accumulated a total of 58 points. She boasted a 57.4 percent shooting percentage and a 77 percent shots-on-goal percentage.

An All-Ivy player for her second year in a row, Wadland has established herself this season as perhaps Dartmouth's most influential player and one of the nation's top goalies. Her 8.00 goals against average which ranks sixth nationally and a .457 savw percentage both helped her earn a nomination for a Tewaaraton Award.

Wadland manned the net for all but 29 minutes this season. Her performance was so exceptional because it extended beyond just the goal she accumulated 37 ground balls, more than any other player on the team.

She said she is proud of her award not for personal reasons, but for what it means for the team as a whole.

"I think I've come to the realization that these awards are great, but the best part about them is they speak to what the team has done," Wadland said.

Wadland went on to say that rather than measure her individual success by awards like these, she prefers to look at how the team continues to develop in the years after her departure.

"I think for me the accomplishment lies in how the team does next year and the year after," she said.

Known for her eclectic play in midfield, Plumb earned spots on both the All-Region and All-Ivy second teams.

Her diversity as a player is reflected in her season statistics. She was third on the Big Green in scoring with 23 goals and added 14 assists for a total of 37 points. She was second in draw controls and ground balls notching 28 of each and led the squad in forced turnovers, with 27.

MacKenzie, Meyer and Plumb will join seven other returning starters next year for another run at the Ivy League title.