Safety and Security adds weekend patrol

Due to the high number of parties over Green Key weekend where both alcohol and underage students are often present Safety and Security will increase the number of patrolling officers this weekend, according to Harry Kinne, former director of Safety and Security and interim Associate Dean of the College. Dick's House will also take measures to increase the capacity of the in-patient department over the weekend, according to nursing director Charley Bradley.

Safety and Security will augment its standard patrols during Green Key weekend as it has done in previous years by adding at least two extra foot patrols and an extra dispatcher to manage the expected increase in calls for service, Kinne said.

"We find that it's very similar in nature to an active fall weekend," he said. "Our activity levels are usually up and we're busy, but not outrageously busy."

Last Green Key, five of the nine student arrests on alcohol-related charges were made in conjunction with ambulance calls, The Dartmouth previously reported.

The Hanover Police Department will no longer automatically arrest underage students who receive medical attention for overconsumption of alcohol if the students are eligible for the Alcohol Diversions Program, acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears announced in April.

Neither Safety and Security nor Dick's House will be treating intoxicated students any differently this weekend as a result of the policy change, however, College officials said.

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone announced in February that Hanover Police would begin conducting undercover compliance checks at Greek organizations in response to a perceived rise in alcohol use by underage students. The sting operations were put on hold indefinitely later that month, The Dartmouth previously reported.

Despite the increase in Safety and Security officers on patrol this weekend and the new Hanover Police alcohol policy developments, fraternities will not implement any changes to the parties that they plan to host over Green Key, Interfraternity Council president Tyler Brace '11 said.

"I think fraternities will continue to pursue policies that have worked in the past," Brace said. "The big change with the [Hanover Police] policy change is that people will be less afraid to [use the Good Samaritan policy]."

The Good Sam policy allows students to call Safety and Security without the threat of disciplinary action when an intoxicated student is in need of medical attention.

The IFC is co-sponsoring several parties over Green Key weekend, as it has done in past years, Brace said.

"We would hope that Hanover Police would recognize that this is a big weekend and continue along the path of more reasonable policies that they've pursued as of late," he said.

Hanover Police has not changed the number of patrols on duty over Green Key weekend in past years, The Dartmouth previously reported.

To prepare for the big weekend, Dick's House will add one extra staff person to every shift, according to Bradley.

Dartmouth Emergency Medical Services will also use Dick's House as its dispatch location over the weekend so that EMS-certified students can help Dick's House staff to monitor more beds, she said.

Although Dick's House employees expect to treat more students over Green Key as a result of increased alcohol consumption this weekend, an increase in the number of in-patient stays typically only occurs during Homecoming weekend, Bradley said.

Bradley advised students to cooperate with Safety and Security and Hanover Police officers this weekend if the situation arises.

"We're not telling [students] to not drink," Bradley said. "What we're saying is that if in fact they do something to attract the attention of [Safety and Security] or the police, they should relax and cooperate. They're going to be much better off than if they fight and resist."

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone did not respond to requests for comment by press time.