Reboot and Rally: Ultimate Update

I have been penning this technology column for a long time since my freshman Fall in fact. There have been times when I have hated it for monopolizing my time and also times when I have loved it for the benefits it could get me. "Yes, sure Ms. Verizon Wireless PR lady, I will try to find time to play around with your brand-new smartphone." In the end, I like to think that I have left a small bit of myself in this little corner of The Mirror. I'm not self-indulgent enough to think I can encapsulate Dartmouth into this column, but I am self-glorifying enough to try and run back four years of my column.

For the nostalgia of the '10s and to edify the younger classes, let us revisit important moments in the past four years at Dartmouth for my journalistic self.

Sept. 9, 2006: After getting back from my DOC trip and finally showering, I turn on my computer to find a network called "Kiewit Video." I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming. The underclassmen might not believe me, but there was a time when you could get DarTV anywhere in class, on the green, at FoCo. It was like living in the future, or maybe just Japan.

Sept. 14, 2006: During Orientation, I attend an information session on computing run by the legendary Jeff Hawkins, the man who taught me everything I know about computers. He informs the 100-plus incoming freshmen there that the school was moving to this great new authentication system called the eToken. Apparently the College imagined us all carrying around a flash drive thingamajig (that is the technical term) with our identity on it in order to log onto the networks and computers. Amazingly, I still have my eToken from back then and I am still eagerly awaiting the day I finally can use it for something.

Oct. 6, 2006: I write my first ever technology article for The Mirror. The subject of the day is new iPods. Apparently, "for the same price point now get double the storage..." 2GB.

March 2, 2007: My first review is a slicing showdown between the then brand-new Gillette Fusion and Schick Quattro. It is probably still my most read and responded-to article, but then again back in those days I used to be next to the Overheards so I actually had readers. However, I am sure the entire campus preferred the highlights-lowlights matrix, Dartmouth Manual of Style and Spotlight On, some of the features that subsequently replaced me.

Sept. 28, 2007: For the second year in a row, I write my first Mirror column of the Fall about new iPods. I know, I'm original.

Feb. 5, 2008: A dream ends. Kiewit Wireless and all its loose, promiscuous and unsecured glory connects with its last "patron." In comes the prudish, connection-withholding, authentication-checking Dartmouth Secure. Some students hold out from her safe browsing and GreenPrinting charms to this day.

Feb. 29, 2008: This little technology column finally gets a name: Reboot and Rally. Aww, it is a leap year baby. How cute!

April 25, 2008: Back in the day, The Mirror used to pick things that people should check out; it was called Mirror Picks. That day, two of the picks were "Gossip Girl" and Hulu both fresh at the time. We really had our fingers on the pulse of campus culture. I pick the Citation Manager in Microsoft Office.

Sept. 23, 2008: I attempt to write an iPod article to start the year for the third year in a row. Caitlin Kelly '09, my editor at the time, threatens to fire me.

Sept. 26, 2008: After all these years, I actually start to review new gadgets. Except the first piece of technology I actually review is a squeezable bean-bag touchscreen Wi-Fi alarm clock called a Chumby. I remember liking it, mostly because it came with a two-headed planaria keychain charm.

Oct. 3, 2008: I review a $10 deodorant from CVS. The D reimburses and thanks me for continually reeking of awesomeness.

For almost a year in between: For reasons unclear to myself, I churn out pointless drivel. I blame my biweekly deadline.

Oct. 16, 2009: The Philips Norelco Bodygroom+ and the Braun bodycruZer duke it out for first place in the hands and hearts of many a hirsute man.

After listing all that, I feel pretty sick of myself. I assume I have lost most if not all readers by this point, so it is a good time to say something important. Keep you computer clean, both physically and metaphorically. People will judge you by its, and your desktop's, appearance. Finally, as a wise man once told me, "If you didn't buy it, you don't own it." Thanks to everyone who has been along for the ride, it has been a pleasure.