Reboot and Rally

It has been over six months since Verizon released the Motorola Droid, and that makes it a senior citizen in technology terms (or maybe just a '10). That is probably why Verizon recently announced the new HTC Droid Incredible. Its hyperbolic name aside, it really is the best smartphone you can get on Verizon today and one of the best smartphones on any network. The Incredible improves on the Droid in almost every way, and dare I say it can be as good as the Apple iPhone 3GS.

In my short time with the Droid Incredible, a few things stuck out to me. One, the Incredible is fast. The 1GHz Snapdragon processor really works to make the phone run swiftly, especially considering how the Google Android OS naturally multitasks and handles apps in the background. The superior speed is also apparent in how well the Incredible handles online videos (including Flash videos tell that to the guy with the iPad in your class and watch him drool). Videos also emphasize how rich and deep the OLED screen of the Incredible is; the LCDs on the Droid [Mediocre] and iPhone cannot compare.

Second, while the intricacies of Android still feel nerdier than the iPhone, its daily functionality will put your iPhone to shame. Android adds the power of widgets to your phone screen, so you can wake up and know the weather, news, your schedule and more all by just glancing at your phone. It amazes me that Apple has widgets on their computers, but still not on their phones.

The Droid Incredible has many other things going for it such as an eight-megapixel camera with dual-LED flash as well as some faults, like the lack of a bundled microSD card.

All the power of the Droid Incredible, however, comes at a steep price. Not at the register its $200 price tag is competitive with the iPhone 3GS, but at the outlet. I was lucky to get 12 hours out of a full charge, and on a busy day I got less than eight hours. However, overall I found it impressive, and it mostly lives up to its lofty name.