Verbum Ultimum: Learning for Learning's Sake

As Dimensions provides the prospective members of the Class of 2014 an opportunity to see Dartmouth, the presence of "prospies" offers us the chance to consider the College's goals as a liberal arts institution. The Class of 2014 is the College's latest "most selective class ever," a compliment that has been recycled every year in recent memory. While this is an attribute of which the class should be proud, it also points to the increasingly competitive nature of college admissions and the additional pressure put on high school students to be accepted to an elite college or university.

The admissions rates at top-tier institutions are rapidly declining, causing high school students to attempt to bolster their applications with anything and everything that could give them a perceived edge. After all, in just 10 years, Dartmouth's acceptance rate has been slashed by approximately half ("Lower acceptance rates seen by many colleges," April 14). In the face of such discouraging odds, students tell of immense pressure to present an image of superhuman accomplishment, causing many students to lie if only to themselves, about what they care about to achieve a more polished resume ("Living a Lie," April 15).

And the rat race doesn't end once acceptance letters are mailed. From the perspective of columnist Ethan Wang '13, students with an eye on the professional world or graduate school are often expected to choose colleges based on prestige, not whether they are the best school for that individual's personal development ("To Prospies," April 22). In fact, the attributes that set Dartmouth apart from its peers a rural environment, a strong sense of community, a focus on the liberal arts emphasize personal exploration and development rather than the path to a career on Wall Street.

Yet among us are career-minded, driven undergraduates who perhaps have temporarily checked their professional aspirations at the door of Parkhurst when they matriculated. Because, unlike most other elite institutions, Dartmouth allows students to use their four years both as a steppingstone toward ultimate success, and also to take courses outside of their majors or travel on College-sponsored programs.

Here we are encouraged to pursue our passions whether they are the study of art, philosophy or investment banking. A renewed emphasis on and appreciation of learning for its own sake is the only way to forestall the commodification of a college degree. These qualities set us and our peer institutions apart from schools where students' majors dictates their futures. It is the variety of interests and passions present here and, more importantly, their interaction that results in the unique views and skills that liberal arts graduates bring to the professional world.

While there is nothing wrong with pursuing a corporate career, the skills obtained here are equally valuable to an English major as an economics major. Moving through college with a pre-determined end in mind sabotages the development of diverse critical skills for which liberal arts students should strive. Prospective students and current undergraduates alike need to decide if they want to subjugate learning to the increasing pressures of post-graduation life, or if they still recognize the value of a true liberal arts diploma.