VERBUM ULTIMUM: Drink Free or Die

The Hanover Police Department policy to deploy undercover operatives to Greek houses in order to combat underage drinking ("Stricter alcohol plans outrage Greek orgs.," Feb. 5) represents a startling and troubling lack of perspective on the part of Hanover Police. College President Jim Yong Kim acknowledged a well-known truth last July when he said underage drinking is a reality on college campuses ("Kim addresses Greek life, alcohol policy," Jul. 1), and responsible consumption should be emphasized. The Hanover Police Department may have a legal right to investigate such violations of state laws, but this measure will have a crippling effect on the openness of the Dartmouth social scene and potentially disastrous repercussions for student health on campus, both points that have students across campus vehemently speaking out against the policy.

Last September, Kim spoke with The Dartmouth about the "public relations problem" plaguing Greek life ("Kim to focus on Greek system's public image," Sept. 23). Kim explained that the public does not understand the open fraternities and sororities system at Dartmouth, stating that "the very definition of a Greek system elsewhere is that you can control who comes to your parties, that you can control who you socialize with. Whereas here, the parties are open to everyone." The threat of undercover operatives acting as Hanover Police's eyes and ears in fraternity basements could mean a drastic change in Greek social life that the College has not faced since the controversial proposal of the Student Life Initiative. Sting operations and the risk of outrageous fines facing Greek organizations will most likely force the closure of Webster Avenue's open doors and inculcate a culture of exclusivity.

In order to avoid police infiltration, Greek houses may be forced to exclude the majority of students from events, admitting individuals through guest lists instead. Kim will no longer have to deal with this "public relations problem," because Greek elitism, which is currently frowned upon by the community, will become a reality. Dartmouth will be rendered the same as any other institution dominated by Greek life.

More frightening is the effect this policy could have on student health. In the past, Kim said he intends to approach underage drinking from a "harm reduction" standpoint ("Kim asks Greeks for frank' conversation," Jul. 17). We agree that student safety should be the aim of all alcohol policy, both for the College and the town. Yet sting operations would do the opposite; it would exacerbate the problem by driving underage drinking underground. Instead of parties at Greek houses, where accountable organization leaders monitor events, alcohol consumption will move to dorm rooms and off-campus apartments, where the potential for fatal accidents increases. If Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone were serious in his claims about combating alcohol-related injuries and sexual assaults, he would seek a different means to address the problem.

Protecting the wellbeing of students is not the primary motivation for the Hanover Police's new policy. While Kim has not officially taken a position on the Amethyst Initiative, he has already spoken out about the "terrible situation" current New Hampshire alcohol possession by consumption laws have put students in ("Kim finds fault with state's liquor policy," Oct. 2"). It remains to be seen if Kim will defend the unique open nature of College Greek life and the health of Dartmouth students in the future, but if student actions provide any indication, Webster Avenue will not go down without a fight.