June 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

Conference foes to challenge Men's hockey this weekend

01.22.10.sports.men_hockey
01.22.10.sports.men_hockey

The Union Dutchmen (13-4-5, 7-0-3 ECAC Hockey) sits atop the ECAC league standings with 17 points while Dartmouth (4-13, 2-8 ECAC Hockey) remains in last tied with Clarkson University with only four points.

Currently sixth in the ECAC with 10 points, RPI (12-11-1, 5-5 ECAC Hockey) is tied with Harvard University in the league standings. The Crimson delivered a 4-1 defeat to the Big Green on Monday.

This is the first time this season that Dartmouth is facing the Engineers and the Dutchmen both conference foes.

Having posted only two conference wins all year, against Providence College and Brown University, the Big Green is looking for a much-needed victory.

"We are really hungry for a win," captain Peter Boldt '10 said. "We need a win to prove to ourselves that we are moving in the right direction. Since every [league] game can affect our standings in the playoffs, it is important that we get on a roll soon."

Last year, the Big Green overpowered the Engineers in two 5-2 victories during the regular season before being swept out of the ECAC playoffs by RPI in the first round.

Assistant captain Scott Fleming '11 scored a combined three goals in the two regular-season matchups, while Joe Stejskal '11 also posted two goals against the Engineers.

"We have a lot of respect for [RPI]," Boldt said. "In the playoffs, we came in underestimating them as a team. We aren't going in there cocky, but we are ready to compete and get a win."

In its two games against the Dutchmen last season, Dartmouth notched a 5-2 victory and a 2-2 tie. Fleming scored two goals in the win.

"The fact that [Union is] first in the league doesn't mean anything," Boldt said. "It gives us the opportunity to come in and sneak in on them. They probably won't be thinking that we are very competitive, but we are going to come out hard and I think we have a good chance at getting two wins this weekend."

Taking to the road for both games, the Big Green will face RPI at 7 p.m. on Friday before meeting Union at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

With the opportunity this weekend to double its league wins, Dartmouth will go out hard and keep fighting for a win, Nick Walsh '12 said.

"We just have to keep getting shots off," he said. "Hopefully the next game they go in the net."