The DM Manual of Style

Lauren Amery '10 has the unique ability of constructing seemingly expensive outfits at very low prices.

Dressing in "hand-me-downs" of generations gone by, Amery grew up on a farm in Morristown, N.J., and did not have the opportunity to choose her own wardrobe until she was a high school student.

Because both of her older siblings had moved on to pursue higher education, adolescent Amery was left in a position to explore her fashion sense.

Still, Amery does not view her overall Dartmouth experience an extremely creative one, she said. As an economics major, Amery spends a majority of her time "crunching numbers."

Because of this, she views fashion as her main artistic outlet, she said. Amery enjoys piecing together her outfits by matching up cheap items she finds in thrift stores, she said. For Amery, her pieces are much more about quantity than quality, in that she does not risk ruining anything expensive in frat basements wise choice.

"It's all about mixing and matching," Amery said.

During the Fall term of her junior year, Amery wandered the streets of London on a transfer term. While there, Amery said she witnessed the "bizarre, androgynous style" of London.

Although she didn't do much shopping in London because of the sky-high prices, Amery spent a lot of time walking around the Portobello Road Market, she said. All of this cultural exposure gave her a new perspective on fashion, she said.

Now back on campus, is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and a member of the women's club lacrosse team, and also volunteers at High Horses Therapeutic Riding Program, an organization that helps children with speech, educational and physical therapy.

Despite her fashion sense, Amery said she's "not afraid to get [her] hands dirty."

Amery attributes her uninhibited fashion sense to the women of Kappa, who she said made her a little more adventurous.

"Putting all of those girls in one house at one time shows what people are wearing on campus, and shows the boundaries that have been pushed, and helps you push the boundaries," Amery said.

This year, Amery and a few of those daring divas decided they would go against Dartmouth norms and dress up whenever they wanted to, she said. Look out for these fabulous fashionistas, they'll be the fierce girls in cocktail dresses and heels all over campus. After all, fashion is all about taking risks. Snaps to Lauren Amery.

As for the rest of you, we'll be on the lookout. You never know, you could be next!