Spotlight on Michael Odokara-Okigbo '12

So, you think you can sing? Probably not like this guy. When it comes to vocal talent, Michael Odokara-Okigbo '12 pretty much takes the cake. The winner of last April's Dartmouth Idol, Michael is a member of the Dartmouth Aires and the Gospel Choir. On top of that, he's also a varsity rower and plans on rushing a fraternity this fall. So yes, you should be impressed by the fact that he had enough time to do an interview.

Why did you decide to go on Dartmouth Idol? It must be a pretty scary thing to do.I sing in the Aires, and this guy Matt said to me, "Man this is a great experience you should go for it," so I thought, "Why not?" It was great. I learned a lot about projection and how to sing with more feeling and about the importance of portraying a song and its emotions to the audience. Such a great experience, I never thought I would do anything like that. I sang in high school, but this was different. It was incredible.

Apparently you were singing on a yacht with Oprah this summer? Please share.[Laughs] Yeah, that was pretty cool. Winning Dartmouth Idol gave me the opportunity to go on Oprah's cruise ship around the Mediterranean. It was an incredible experience. We sang almost 130 songs. All types: R&B, country, gospel, jazz, folk. I actually still talk to a lot of people on the ship. It was like a huge family. There were times when we all wanted to take a breather, but we stuck through it. It was the trip of a lifetime.

Can you tell me a little about the Aires and Gospel Choir?They're really different. The Aires is more about blend and getting one sound. You're not belting, you're making sure you hear each other. It's like a fraternity. We're all for each other and we take care of each other, but if you sing something wrong, we'll let you know. We have as much fun as we can. Lots of pong. Should I not say that? [Laughs].

How about Gospel Choir?Gospel Choir is all about emotions and love. It doesn't matter your religion, creed, sex, as long as you're apt on professing love. All religions love singing with passion and heart and intensity. Belt your ass off. That's what it's about. Gospel Choir's given me such great knowledge on singing with heart and passion.

Is music theory an important part of the Aires? That stuff ain't easy.Yeah, well I got a C+ in music theory in high school. I think it was senior year so I didn't give a shit. Music theory is hard. One freshman in the Aires has perfect pitch. I respect that.

What's your major?Undeclared, but I want it "ish" to be global health and sociology and African-American studies. Hopefully I can do a triple major. Time management!

Any interest in singing professionally?Who knows. One of the prizes for winning Dartmouth Idol was demo work. A lot of work, but I really, really enjoyed it. Long hours. It would be after 4 a.m. and I'd be coming home, but I kept singing the tunes. It was a really cool experience. You know, when I first got here I wanted to be a doctor, but I don't know now what I want to do with my life which is kind of scary. But it's kind of fun at the same time.

Do you think the groups you're in make an impact on the Dartmouth music scene and what people are listening to?In the Aires, we try to sing things people like to hear. We do modern stuff as well as stuff they don't know. Some 70s and 80s older songs that are sometimes better than the newer songs. "Up the Ladder to the Roof" is our signature. In Gospel, Walt (the director) is an incredible musician and likes to encompass gospel and R&B and country within the gospel realm. For example, we did "Wanna be Startin' Something" for the inauguration. And we did country for our spring concert, but still within the gospel realm. Dartmouth has a pretty diverse music scene and I guess those two groups impact that.

What do you personally think of the Dartmouth music scene?I wish we had more bands here. One of the Aires has a band, but I wish there were more creating more sounds. I guess we enjoy music here, lots of types. I wish our music scene was bigger though.

What did you think of the concert this past weekend?I love Wale. And I think its really cool that the Programming Board was able to get Gym Class Heroes. They've been around the block, so for them to come up to the town of Hanover, N.H., is huge. They have one gold album. The Programming Board is great.

What's your current favorite music to listen to?I love, I love Michael Jackson. He's the shit. I love Queen, Rascal Flatts, Stevie Wonder, R. Kelly, T-Pain yes, I admit it. Oh and Shania Twain, but that's a secret. I just love music. Music is music, even coming from someone like Marilyn Manson. It's music, so there's still beauty and art in it.

If you could get one person to come sing at Dartmouth who would it be?John Legend. I respect him so much. Incredible vocalist. Incredibly humble. He graduated from [the University of Pennsylvania] at 20, and got there at 16. Really smart guy. I look up to him. I love his voice and I have all three of his albums.

What do you think of the current popular music scene?I got to see studio work, and it's crazy how people can sound completely different [in a studio]. Music has now gotten to the point which is okay I guess, I have no problem with it where corporations kind of decide what's in and what's out. I guess what's in is Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. They're doing their thing, and I can't knock them, but I don't know. Joss Stone or John Legend, I wish they would be seen more.

As a musician, what's your take on illegal downloading?Uhh yeah ... it's bad? [Laughs] I really shouldn't say. The whole aspect of doing art shouldn't be about money. It's about love and the desire to produce it. Music shouldn't be stolen, but it's an art. It should be made out of love for it.