Women's soccer falls short against Oregon, Oregon State

Midfielder Myra Sack '10 had four unsuccessful shots in the Big Green's 1-0 loss to the University of Oregon on Sunday.

After an impressive run which saw the Dartmouth women's soccer team win the 2009 Nike Virginia Classic Tournament, handing defeats to both Seton Hall University and No. 12 West Virginia University, the Big Green succumbed to its Pac 10 competitors at the Nike Oregon State Invitational this weekend. The team lost to Oregon State University 2-0 on Friday, and was then bested by the University of Oregon, 1-0, Saturday.

Play remained even in the first half against the Ducks (6-1-1, 0-0-0 Pac 10). Oregon took advantage of a loose ball after a dangerous cross early in the second half and waddled on to the scoreboard with an eight-yard shot in the 47th minute. Dartmouth (3-3-0, 0-0-0 Ivy) could not find an answer, despite forcing Oregon's first save of the game from a Myra Sack '10 shot.

"It's always difficult to lose a soft goal as you have to work so hard to get back in the game," head coach Angie Hind said. "We had some time left, but unfortunately we could not get enough opportunities to get back in the game."

The Big Green was on the defensive in the first half, thwarting six Oregon shot attempts, and goalie Colleen Hogan '12 produced a save in the 29th minute. Dartmouth could only come up with three shot attempts before the halftime whistle, but upped the game tally to seven as the team increased offensive pressure on the Ducks in the second period.

"This weekend showed us that, despite results, we can compete with the top 20 to 30 teams in the country," midfielder Kelsey Quick '10 said. "But we want to become more of an offensive team going forward. You need to score goals to win games, and that is definitely a focus for our next games."

The Big Green and the Ducks ended each half with an equal number of corner kicks. Oregon's 13 shot attempts on the game, however, provided the Ducks with a score, while Dartmouth's shots did not find net.

Hind attributed a somewhat sluggish start by the Big Green to an intensive travel schedule.

"We went to Virginia the week before, and traveled quite a bit in two weekends," Hind said. "It played a part initially and we had a sluggish start. Oregon is a long trip to make."

As the match drew on, Dartmouth picked up its intensity and produced a total of 15 fouls, compared to Oregon's six. Defender Thea Sutton '10 was handed a cautionary warning for her foul in the 79th minute and received the only yellow card of the game.

Dartmouth was again shut out in its match against Oregon State (7-1-0, 0-0-0 Pac 10). Midfielder Ali Hubbard '10 contributed three of Dartmouth's seven shots, but Oregon State was relentless on offense, firing 18 shots.

The Oregon State goals straddled both halves, as an early header from a right wing cross put the Beavers ahead in the eighth minute. The Beavers, however, had to rally against an obstinate Dartmouth defense before managing to break through one last time, just at the end of the match with another header in the 85th minute. Hogan had to work to prevent Oregon State's tally from rising further, making five saves.

"Despite not getting the results we would have hoped for, [the tournament] was important for us in our preparation, as it allowed us to play against two very strong Pac 10 teams," Hind said. "In Oregon, we played two very physical and athletic teams, and it gives us a lot of experience for playing in that type of environment."

At the conclusion of two tournaments , the Big Green is now awaiting the chance to return to its season with a simple task in mind.

"It may sound cliche, but we just need to focus on one game at a time," Hind said. "It is vital that we do that."

Ending its 2008 season at 8-6-2, 2-4-1 Ivy and failing to advance to the NCAA tournament, the Big Green is hoping to change its fortune with a new year. The team nabbed a 3-0 win in the team's season opener against Monmouth University before upsetting the University of West Virginia.

"Anytime you beat the No. 12 team in the country, it's going to be a confidence booster, and what we really wanted was to go to Oregon and prove it wasn't just a fluke win," Quick said. "But I think we still believe we can repeat results like that, and we have very important games coming up this week to show that."

Dartmouth is gearing up for a busy schedule. The team will head to Boston University on Thursday before taking on Brown over the weekend.

The Big Green will take on Princeton in the team's Ivy League home opener at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 3.