HEAR AND NOW: Mandy Moore grows up

The title a reference to the artist's first and middle names reflects the charmingly pared-back nature of the album. Rather than relying on over-produced studio effects and synthesizer magic, Moore puts her voice and lyrics front and center. The softer, almost-country tone brings to light her personality, which, as with her latter-day equivalent Miley Cyrus, was smothered when she was a teenage pop star.

Strangely, her most heavily promoted track, "I Could Break Your Heart Any Day of the Week," is perhaps the song that most retains the tacky pop trappings of her past. The tune is catchy, and Moore's voice is strident, clear and strong. Yet the use of clapping sound effects (think "Cha-Cha Slide") and lyrics such as "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday" make the song a little cheesy, and on the whole, flat.

Fortunately, there is much more depth to the album, as with the track "Pocket Philosopher." The opening keyboard chords and whimsical vibe evoke Sara Bareilles' "Love Song" (2007).

The opening track, "Merrimack River," is one of the strongest. The song, a duet with songwriter Mike Viola, with whom Moore co-wrote much of the album, is soft, harmonious, and jaw-droppingly gorgeous. With a softly plucked guitar and other stringed instruments backing the lyrics, the romantic tune is neither serious nor frivolous, but rather a light song that improves with repeated listening.

In short, Moore has crafted a restrained, charming album, one that is more adult than her previous efforts.