KARR'S CHRONICLES: Musings on baseball

The Titcomb Cabin burned down on Wednesday night in what police are calling a

I don't even need to mention the fact that the primary reason I was asked to fill in for Knapp for Toe-to-Toe was that he couldn't get himself together to write a simple column by deadline. So let me give you a little advice, Michael: "all-star" writers don't bail on the paper at the last second, and "all-star" columnists don't write columns so lackluster that they warrant a re-write a few days later by another columnist.

Now, onto other, more important topics.

Congratulations are in order for the Dartmouth baseball team. After splitting the first two games of the Ivy League championship series on Saturday against Cornell, the Big Green rebounded in a big way on Sunday and crushed the Big Red 10-0 to win the Ivy League, boosted by the strong pitching performance of Kyle Hendricks '12. The victory marks Dartmouth's first Ivy League Championship in 22 years. Best of luck to the team as they move forward to the regional round and beyond.

A quick update on the Hanover baseball Gray team, the group of seventh and eighth graders I coach: After blowing out Cardigan 14-7 and shutting out Lebanon 7-0 last week, yesterday the Gray team embarked on its first road trip of the season to take on Indian River. After falling behind 7-3 in the first inning, the Gray fought back and tied the game 7-7 in the third inning with the help of strong relief pitching.

After posting a 10-spot in the top of the fourth, the team was able to force the implementation of the slaughter rule, defeating Indian River 17-7. It was an impressive team effort in response to the first deficit of the season.

One follow-up to my last column: I recommended leaping from high places into water, but don't do what one Canadian teen did on Sunday. The teen, playing with a group of friends, attempted to jump over a gap between the traffic lane and pedestrian walkway on a Winnipeg bridge and plummeted nearly 50 feet into the raging river below. He was saved by a homeless man.

Staying on the topic of baseball, let's move from the middle school and college level to the Major League level. Don't look now, but the Los Angeles Dodgers have the best record in baseball. Many thought the Dodgers would run through the traditionally weak National League West this season after acquiring Manny Ramirez, but few believed they would have the best record in the Majors through May 5. The team's lineup is stacked from top to bottom, though, and the pitching is led by ace Chad Billingsley and fireball closer Jonathan Broxton.

And what in the world? The Kansas City Royals are in first place in the American League Central -- just the second time that they have led the division at the beginning of May in franchise history. If you haven't heard of a pitcher named Zack Greinke, look him up, and then watch his next start. The guy is 6-0 with three complete games in six starts this season, but that pales in comparison to some of his other downright cartoonish stats. Greinke is currently sitting on an unprecedented 0.40 ERA, with 54 strikeouts over 45 innings -- unbelievable statistics to start the season. He is single-handedly carrying the Royals on his back, and is responsible for 40 percent of the team's wins so far. Do I think the Royals have a shot at winning the division? Not really. But enjoy Greinke's dominance while it lasts.

My premature prediction for the World Series matchup is the Dodgers versus the Red Sox. Although the Blue Jays are currently leading the American League East, I don't see that lasting the whole season, and there is just about no chance the Dodgers will fail to make the playoffs.

The Red Sox and Dodgers both have the firepower to dominate their respective leagues, and that's enough of a reason to pick them at this premature stage of the season. Both teams will have their ups and downs, but this pick is probably as good as any right now. Plus, I'm excited at the prospect of seeing Manny taking on his former team on baseball's biggest stage.

Lastly, I apologize for my stream of consciousness in this column. People were making prank phone calls in the room the entire time I was trying to write this.

Sadly, it's still better than anything Knapp has put together recently.