Alumni reactions to Kim reflect College politics

The reaction of Dartmouth alumni to Monday's announcement that Jim Yong Kim will serve as the College's next president has largely mirrored the split of alumni body in recent clashes with the College's Board of Trustees. Supporters of current College President James Wright's administration have overwhelmingly welcomed Kim's arrival, while his administration's critics question both Kim's qualifications and his commitment to undergraduate education.

Association of Alumni President John Mathias '69 called Kim's selection "an inspired choice," adding that he was impressed with the President-elect's "life story of education and service."

"I'm kind of overwhelmed with his qualifications," Mathias said. "I don't have any reservations about his selection, based on what I've read or seen."

Several outspoken opponents of the Wright administration, however, quickly sounded off against the choice. Within a few hours after Kim's selection was announced, the Hanover Institute, a non-profit organization that supported the now-dismissed 2007 Association lawsuit against the College, released a statement questioning whether Kim would actively preserve the College's liberal arts character.

"Neither [Kim's] CV nor the statement accompanying the announcement of his appointment will encourage those of us who have seen the cause of the undergraduate college as THE major challenge," the statement said.

John MacGovern '80, founder of the Institute, said he "did not have high expectations" for Wright's announced successor, describing the selection as a move by College administrators to refashion Dartmouth as a research university.

"They think they have the Board firmly in the hands of the establishment and don't have to worry about parity," MacGovern said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "I have a fear that the Board is going to create a Dartmouth University or Harvard [University] on the Connecticut."

Frank Gado '58, a former member of the Association executive committee who supported the lawsuit, echoed MacGovern's concerns about Kim's academic priorities.

Several alumni have openly doubted Kim's administrative experience, questioning whether his global health background is appropriate for managing the College.

"I don't see anything in this guy's background of running anything, certainly as a CEO," MacGovern said.

Joe Asch '79, an outspoken critic of the Wright administration, expressed similar concerns, noting his "seemingly thin scholarly record" and "lack of administrative experience in an academic setting."

A large number of alumni were quick to defend Kim's qualifications, citing his background at Harvard and the World Health Organization.

Trustee Peter Robinson '79, who served on the presidential search committee and supported the Association lawsuit, disputed claims that Kim's limited experience with Dartmouth may hinder his abilities as a president.

"I would argue that of all the candidates with whom we spoke, Dr. Kim 'got' Dartmouth the best and most quickly," Robinson said. "While we were considering him, he was considering us."

Association executive committee member David Spalding '76, director of Alumni Relations at the College, echoed Robinson's defense, noting that, as an anthropologist, Kim "very much appreciates the uniqueness of Dartmouth culture."

"Kim doesn't want to change Dartmouth -- he really wants to build on those traditions, and he'll be able to make alumni comfortable with that over time," Spalding said.

Spalding also pointed to Kim's administrative experience as director of WHO's HIV/AIDS division as valuable leadership experience that can translate into Kim's new position at the College. Kim managed roughly $120 million that was distributed among many initiatives and countries while working in that position, Spalding said. Dealing with a "relatively complicated budget" at the WHO helped to prepare Kim for the College's fiscal challenges in the upcoming year, he said.

Supporters of the Wright administration contacted by The Dartmouth largely said they did not share MacGovern's or Gado's concerns about a potential emphasis on graduate-level instruction, citing Kim's experiences teaching undergraduate students at Harvard as evidence of his commitment to undergraduate studies.

"I am impressed with his dedication to undergraduate education throughout most of his career, and I know that's going to remain his focus," Mathias said.

Many alumni, regardless of their opinions of College politics, said they would reserve final judgment until Kim takes office on July 1.

"He may be wonderful," Gado said. "But just prima facie, just what he brings to the appointment makes me skeptical. But then again, I'm a skeptical person."