Three fraternities, no sororities to appeal OAC probation decisions

Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, along with two other Greek organizations, is appealing its probation.

An organization may appeal an Organization Adjudication Committee decision if new information comes to light or if the organization's members believe that procedural errors occurred in association with the original hearing, Crady said in an interview. After an organization files an appeal, the College lifts any sanctions resulting from the original OAC decision pending the outcome of the review, he explained.

Crady declined to discuss the details of ongoing cases.

Tri-Kap plans to submit its appeal Tuesday, the fraternity's president, Andrew Jean-Louis '09, said.

"We just wanted to make sure we got everything worked out before [we submitted the appeal]," he said.

Tri-Kap will provide new evidence in its appeal and argue that procedural errors were made in the original hearing, which was heard by special assistant to the Dean of the College Katherine Burke, Jean-Louis said. Tri-Kap was placed on probation after two underage students taken to Dick's House said they had been drinking at the fraternity, Jean-Louis told The Dartmouth in a previous interview.

"We thought [the OAC] took too long to see the charges," he said. "[The incident] was during Homecoming, and they didn't see us until late January."

Burke, who presided over the initial review, declined to comment for this article.

"Burke was very open to hearing to what we have to say," Jean-Louis said.

Cases may be heard either by an OAC chair, like Burke, or the full OAC committee, which includes students, faculty and administrators. An Undergraduate Judicial Affairs officer, in consultation with the Dean of the College and an OAC chair, decides who hears probation-level cases, according to the Student Handbook.

Sig-Ep President Kevin Scully '09 said his organization's appeal will also provide new evidence and argue that the original hearing had several procedural errors. The fraternity submitted an appeal on Jan. 29, and Scully said he hopes to receive a response from the College later this week. He declined to elaborate on the nature of the new information or the alleged procedural errors outlined in the appeal.

Sig-Ep was placed on probation for "a violation of the College's standards policy, for a formal incident," Scully said in a previous e-mail to The Dartmouth.

Tri-Delt chose not to appeal the OAC decision, President Meg Montgoris '09 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth, citing a lack of new evidence or procedural errors on the part of the OAC.

Montgoris said she was disappointed that Tri-Delt was not allowed to present its case to the full OAC committee and that the decision was rendered by "a singular individual who may or may not have already decided where she stood on the matter."

Tri-Delt's sanctions stem from the organization's fall formal event, held at Ragged Mountain Resort in Danbury, N.H. The resort's staff filed a complaint with the College regarding "public intoxication and indecent conduct between sisters and their dates" at the event, Montgoris said. She added that Tri-Delt was not aware that a complaint had been filed until a week later, when she was notified that a College investigation was underway.

"Though our organization was somewhat rattled by the extent of our punishment, we take full responsibility for our unacceptable behavior at Ragged Mountain," she added.

Sigma Delt President Kristen Rounds '09 told The Dartmouth in an e-mail that her organization has chosen not to appeal the OAC decision. Rounds declined to comment further.

The sorority was put on probation after the OAC determined that it had violated the College's disorderly conduct standard, Rounds said in a previous interview with The Dartmouth.

Chi Heorot officials declined to comment.