VERBUM ULTIMUM: Tough Choices

The College's recent decision to postpone construction on Alpha Phi sorority's residence ("Construction of Alpha Phi house postponed," Jan. 7) came as a wake-up call to those members of the Dartmouth community who thought student life would remain relatively unchanged in the face of the ongoing economic crisis.

The indefinite delay of Alpha Phi's first physical plant, previously promised to the organization by the College, clearly marks a step backwards in gender relations at Dartmouth. And, particularly with issues as emotionally charged as equality in the Greek system, it will likely be difficult for many students to simply throw up their hands in surrender to budget cuts.

As hard as it may be for us to forego certain expectations about our quality of life at the College, however, Alpha Phi's loss is likely the first of many. Now is the time for all of us to prepare to make sacrifices.

We believe that the student body must be ready to play its part in helping the College achieve its planned $40 million reduction in operating costs. If administrators are to preserve the long-term health of the College, they will inevitably have to make cuts that affect us in the short-term. We should be willing to accept and adapt to these changes.

The results of the Student Assembly's budget survey, as well as the Assembly's subsequent letter to the administration ("OPAL, Hood Museum rank low in survey," Jan.9), indicate that many students have already recognized this need for pragmatism in the face of current economic realities. According to the budget survey summary, "The overwhelming majority of students indentified financial aid, Dartmouth traditions, and academics as fundamental to the Dartmouth experience." Likewise, the Assembly's letter specifically calls for the maintenance of "student-faculty initiatives" and "advising and academic resources available to students."

We agree that the above institutions must be tirelessly maintained. We are a center of higher learning, first and foremost. High-quality faculty and need-blind admissions are to be considered essential.

As Dartmouth looks to cut out its financial fat, we as students must be prepared to sacrifice luxuries so as to preserve necessities. We should be willing to waive our right to midnight chicken nuggets and freshman floor pizza parties if it means ensuring the longevity of the College.

The line between luxury and necessity will not always be easy to draw, but if we are to cooperate meaningfully with the administration, we must make a concerted effort to draw it with the future of the College in mind.

As Dartmouth students, we should all be willing to give up certain creature comforts for the higher purpose of attending and helping to preserve one of America's oldest and greatest institutions.