Sailing ends fall season with two strong finishes

Against a field of nationally ranked boats, Dartmouth sailing claimed fifth place at the Atlantic Coast Championship.

On the Charles River, Sam Williams '12 and Anne Megargel '09 navigated to a sixth-place finish in the Division A races, tallying 24 points.

Skipper Ed Jude Glackin '11, alongside crew Sarah Freihofer '10, improved Dartmouth's standings with a fifth-place finish in the Division B races by gaining 22 points.

The team recorded 46 points overall, enough to claim fourth place in the field of 16 boats. Yale took the title, leading the group with 38 points overall.

The Atlantic Coast Tournament brought together teams that fell short of qualifying for the Atlantic Coast Championships, which took place farther south, on the Potomac River, this weekend.

The wind fluctuated wildly on Saturday in Cambridge, barely allowing for a light breeze at the beginning of the races but building up to a strong, shifty gust by the end of the day.

The unstable weather conditions continued into Sunday's races, forcing the officials to suspend the regatta. Only four races counted towards the overall score.

At the Atlantic Coast Championships in Washington, skipper Kendall Reiley '09 and crew Courtney Gerwin '11 manned the first six races of Division A, while Sarah Johnston '09 stepped in to replace Gerwin to sail the last six races. The trio's efforts brought Dartmouth a 10th-place finish in the division with 118 team points.

Dartmouth led the pack in Division B. Skipper Becca Dellenbaugh '10 took the helm alongside Johnston for the first three races, while Steph Gagnon '10 replaced Johnston to finish off the last nine races of the division. The Big Green's consistent finishes tallied 60 points, overtaking the other boats and bringing home a first-place finish in the group.

The sailors' efforts in the two divisions brought Dartmouth an overall fifth-place finish in a field of 18 teams, edging out second-ranked Boston College by eight points. Host Georgetown claimed first place, while Yale and Harvard took home third and fourth place, respectively.

"We are really excited about how we did at ACCs," Reiley said. "All three of the crews did a great job adjusting to different combinations."

Deemed one of the most cutthroat regattas of the fall season, the Atlantic Coast Championships assembled the top qualifying teams from the New England, Mid-Atlantic and South Atlantic regions of the Intercollegiate Sailing Association.

Twelve of the boats entered at ACCs were ranked in the top 15 sailing teams in the nation.

The wind remained relatively moderate over the course of the Saturday races on the Potomac, with a few strong puffs coming through. The gusts picked up considerably during the early part of the Sunday competition, as the erratic wind shifts tested the sailors' abilities to maintain consistency.

Sailing in lightweight Flying Dutchman Juniors, more popularly known as FJs, added to the challenge brought upon by the unpredictable changes in wind direction.

"In difficult conditions Sunday, [the FJs] were the only boat that remained consistent," Reiley said. "I struggled on Sunday to stay consistent in A Division, but luckily Becca held the team up."

The sailing team will return to action in March 2009.