Obama For President

The fate of our country rides on the decisions of the American people today. After eight years of misguided leadership and failed policies, our economy is falling into a deep recession at home and our reputation stands tainted abroad.

Barack Obama has shown clear leadership to steer America out of these dangerous waters. McCain represents the same sinking ideology as George Bush. Obama has shown consistent judgment throughout his career. In 2002, he spoke out against the Iraq war, correctly naming it an unwise distraction from the war on the terrorists who attacked us. He pointed out that it would be neither quick nor easy, and that it would make Americans more vulnerable, not safer. In January of that same year, McCain declared "Next stop, Baghdad!"

When the financial markets began their meltdown, Obama showed a steady hand in his response, providing a striking contrast to McCain's erratic and often incomprehensible flailing. Obama clearly explained the challenges facing the middle class and his plans to help them; McCain called the fundamentals of the economy "sound" but then, three days later, declared this the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

Barack Obama proposes real tax relief for the middle class, the heart of the American economy. Contrary to McCain's insinuations, 90 percent of Americans will get a tax cut under the Obama plan. Obama believes in growing the economy from the bottom up, rejecting the floundering theory that economies grow best from the top down.McCain promises more money for those with the most while tossing scraps to struggling families. He is unable to tell voters how his economic plan differs significantly from that of Bush. As a result, he cannot tell us why we should expect different results from those that we have seen over the past eight years.

Wages for working families shrink while the number of the uninsured grows. Income inequality is at its highest level since the 1920s. Our parents and grandparents are struggling to retire. Republican-led deregulation paved the way for the financial meltdown. Obama embraces the desire of Americans everywhere to take our country in a new direction. McCain embraces the status quo. The difference in these two men's judgment is perfectly encapsulated in the selection of their running mates. Obama chose a seasoned leader on both domestic and foreign policy. In Joe Biden, Obama selected a public servant who embodies the best of our American values.

McCain's pick, borne of desperation and smacking of opportunism, was Sarah Palin. Though initially unknown, she was quickly shown to be in over her head through three disastrous interviews. Palin could not even name the constitutional duties of the office she hoped to occupy. McCain's failure to vet his running mate proved to be a glaring lack of judgment.

Obama inspires us to choose our better history. Throughout this campaign, he has called for a new culture in Washington, one that favors "hope over fear and unity over division." Though confronted with some of the most scurrilous rumors about his faith and patriotism, Obama has stood strong, confronting his opponents with respect and civility.

McCain has retreated to the darkness of deception and name-calling. Since June, he has questioned Obama's love of country, called him a socialist and suggested that he would raise taxes on all Americans. McCain must know these charges to be false. Palin showed more desperation, suggesting that serving on an education board in Chicago constituted "palling around" with terrorists.

These campaign tactics, taken from the Bush-Rove playbook, aim to drive the wedge of fear between us. They have been the guiding light of the Bush administration. McCain once derided such tactics, then started using them himself. McCain served his country bravely in uniform, but his policies for our future are wrong. The challenges facing us are simply too big to entrust to a man who endorses 90 percent of Bush's policies.

Obama has displayed intellectual clarity and inspirational leadership. He has spoken to Americans of every stripe, calling us to a future worthy of our great nation. This is the moment to choose hope for a better tomorrow over the divisions in our shared history. This is the moment -- our moment -- for change. This is the moment to elect Barack Obama.