Women's soccer dominates on offense in win over Bryant

The Big Green kept the pressure on Bryant with 19 shots, compared to the Bulldogs' five.

While Dartmouth (6-5-1, 0-3 Ivy) controlled the pace of the game throughout and out-shot Bryant (2-8-3), 7-3, in the first half, the visitors kept the score level until the 63rd minute when the duo of Kelsey Quick '10 and Myra Sack '10 combined to notch what would be the game's only goal.

Quick brought the ball up the right side of the pitch and crossed it to Sack, whose header sailed past Bryant's keeper. It was Sack's third goal of the season and Quick's fourth assist.

The Big Green applied tremendous pressure throughout the first half and early in the second, but the team could not find the back of the net until just after the hour mark.

"I think there were moments where we played well," Sack said. "Our first half we played a little panicked. We just didn't play with too much composure and didn't really capitalize on a bunch of chances that could have been converted. As the game went on though, we realized we were the better team. We started to string some passes together and get some things going."

The Big Green was on the attack early and often, beginning in the second minute when captain Becky Poskin '09 had a good chance on goal, which missed the net.

The team had another opportunity in the 29th minute when Ali Hubbard '10 made a shot on the Bryant goal. The ball hit the post, and Maggie Goldstein '10 collected the rebound, before rocketing a shot off the crossbar and into control of the Bryant defense. Goldstein is a member of The Dartmouth Staff.

The Big Green's frustrations on offence did not keep the Dartmouth squad from continuing to control the game by allowing Bryant very few possessions.

Dartmouth out-shot Bryant, 19-5, and Bryant challenged Big Green goalkeeper Laurel Peak '09 on only two occasions.

After halftime, the Bulldogs pushed forward and threatened the Big Green defense but only managed one shot.

After a corner kick, Bryant midfielder Alex DiPippo fired a shot on the Dartmouth goal, but Peak was able to control the threat.

Shortly thereafter, Bryant earned another corner kick, but Bryant defender Molly Parker shot the ball wide after collecting the cross.

The Big Green out-shot the Bulldogs, 12-0, from that point on.

In the 49th minute, Goldstein brought the ball up the left side of the field. She faked out her defender and shot the ball from 15-yards out but Bryant keeper Jessica Clark made the save.

Dartmouth freshman Jennifer Williams '12 got the rebound, but was also stymied by Clark.

Dartmouth continued to put pressure on Bryant, with the Big Green maintaining a significant advantage in time of possession. Bryant did not have any shots on goal after the 46th minute.

Sack's goal just after the hour mark proved to be the game winner as the Big Green defense held strong to maintain the 1-0 lead.

With just five minutes to play, Bryant had the chance to score when forward Brooke Duchaney broke past the Big Green defense. Duchaney had a good read on Peak in the goal, but Dartmouth defender Emily Forline '09 sprinted in from the left side of the field to kick the ball away.

"The whole backline played really well," Sack said. "Overall, we were pretty consistent as a team. Everyone was working hard and trying to make things happen. We have a couple remaining Ivy League games left, and we just are looking to win all of them."

Dartmouth finished its non-conference season with a 6-2-1 record.

The Big Green's only non-conference losses came to powerhouses University of Maryland and University of Virginia.

There are only four games left for Dartmouth in the regular season, but these games make up the majority of its Ivy League schedule.

Currently Dartmouth is tied for last place in the Ivy League with Cornell at 0-3. Princeton, Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania are all tied for first place with 2-0-1 marks in Ivy League play. Harvard (fourth place), Brown (fifth) and Yale (sixth) round out the standings.

The Big Green is back to Ivy League competition this weekend. Dartmouth will take on defending Ivy League champion Penn this Saturday, Oct. 18, at Burnham Field as part of the annual Homecoming festivities. Penn most recently played to a 2-0 victory over in-city rival La Salle College Sunday in Philadelphia, Pa.

If statistics are any indication, Dartmouth's defense will have its hands full against the Quakers. Penn comes into Saturday's game leading the Ivy League in goals scored in conference play with nine. The Quakers have also only allowed one goal in three Ivy contests this season.

The Big Green ranks last with zero goals scored in three Ivy games and is tied for sixth among Ancient Eight squads in goals allowed with four.

The game starts at 4:30 p.m. The Dartmouth men's soccer team also faces off against Penn immediately following the women's game at 7 p.m.