Parties and philanthropy planned for the weekend

The Dartmouth Night bonfire may be the most iconic element of Homecoming, but for all its spectacle, other Homecoming events on campus are equally anticipated. Long before the flames from the bonfire die down, Greek organizations on campus will open their doors for a number of parties in celebration of Homecoming.

Among some of the traditional Homecoming parties are Sigma Nu fraternity's "Early '80s" party on Friday night. Dartmouth students are invited to dress up in full '80s garb and dance to old tunes throughout the party.

The Tabard coed fraternity features will also host its traditional disco inferno party, inspired by the pop culture of the 1970s.

"We play only '70s music and people dress up in '70s clothing," The Tabard social chair Stephanie Morales '09 said.

Students will be asked to pay $1 at the door, but all proceeds from the disco party will be donated to a charity, she said.

"We decide on which charity after all the money is raised," Morales said.

Since The Tabard does not traditionally throw parties throughout the year, the disco party serves as "a social change from other frat houses on campus," she said.

Tradition has an impact on Greek organizations' decisions to host certain events. The Tabard has held their disco inferno party for so long, she said, it has come to characterize the house.

"[The disco party] is so much a part of the house," Morales said. "When alums come back, that's what they expect at The Tabard."

Other fraternities will also provide entertainment to students during Homecoming week. Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity hosted a dance party featuring DJ Enzo " also known as Trey Roy '09, a member at Sig Ep " on Thursday night.

"People just going out and having a good time is the coolest thing ever," Roy said. "For the new kids especially, it's like bringing them into the Dartmouth scene."

The bands RJD2 and Passion Pit will perform live at Sig Ep for a free concert co-hosted with the Programming Board on Saturday night, Sig Ep social co-chair Scott Baker '10 said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. Sig Ep will also host "Shocktoberfest: The After Party," where attendees can hang out with the bands after the show.

Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority will host their traditional "tackies" party, for which students dress in mismatched clothing.

"Hosting the tackies party on the Wednesday of big weekends is a house tradition," KDE vice president Hanna McLaughlin '09 said. "It is a fun way for the sisters and the campus to get excited about the weekend."

Amidst all the parties, Homecoming week is also an opportunity for Greek organizations to host philanthropic events, McLaughlin said. Bones Gate fraternity and KDE will be hosting a joint barbecue as a fundraiser to benefit the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth, known to many students as CHAD.

"Homecoming is a great time to celebrate community and this BBQ will simultaneously encourage interactions within the Dartmouth community while working to help our surrounding community," she said.

Greg Knight '12 said he is excited to engage in Greek events during Homecoming week for the first time.

"I'm just looking forward to having a good time with my friends and going out and continuing all the traditions that everyone who goes here has done," Knight said.

Other Dartmouth students view Homecoming festivities as an opportunity to become more familiar with and involved in the Greek scene.

"I'm excited for Heorot toga party because Heorot is the only cool frat on campus," Trevor Leafe '12 said, referring to Chi Heorot fraternity's party, planned for Saturday night. "Heorot throws the best parties."