Ask Dartmouth, Ask Us

Earlier this week, I had the distinct pleasure of having dinner with General John Abizaid and a few other students. Abizaid is a retired Army general and former commander of CENTCOM, where he oversaw U.S. military operations in a 27-country region stretching from the Horn of Africa to the Middle East to Southeast Asia.

The same night that our national champions of deceit (read: presidential candidates) went on stage to offer the American public a farce of dueling sound bites, I was sitting in a room with other students having a very frank conversation with General Abizaid. We asked questions about his experience in the Iraqi theatre. Abizaid described in detail the successes, challenges and failings of the war effort. He was historical, apolitical and honest. Don't you wish that we had more of that kind of speech on a daily basis?

I certainly do. I'd also like to hear it in more places than just the halls of Congress.

Parkhurst comes to mind. We've seen a ray of hope with President Wright's decision to sign on to the Amethyst Initiative, an effort to encourage active discussion about current drinking-age policy in the United States. There is a lot of darkness left to illuminate, however.

This past spring, students were on the oft-apathetic sidelines of a divisive and vitriolic governance battle. While the debate did spill over into the Opinion pages of The Dartmouth, most of the articles were written by alumni and failed to engage current students. Opportunities to discuss the governance changes in person were few and far between, which is strange since these decisions will affect current students for decades to come.

Allegations about a vast right-wing conspiracy to cripple our College drowned out a simple reality: As Zak Moore '09 wrote on DartBlog, "No matter a student or [alumnus or alumna]'s perspective on class size, faculty hiring, accountability, bureaucracy, etc. the right to exercise a democratic voice is critical." Unfortunately, by the time that the vote was tallied, most students were left apathetic or uninformed about the gravity of the situation at hand. "Unity" and "parity" were tossed around like a political football, and to what end?

The administration failed to engage and inform students. Students probably failed in the same regard. On the administration's part, I can't stomach the thought of a deliberate attempt to maintain ignorance and complacency. We'll call it a moment of ineptitude. But don't the same problems with transparency, communication and honesty persist to this day?

Why are we having a difficult time retaining some of our faculty? Why does the trend of an expanding administrative bureaucracy exist in a College that can scarcely offer enough economics and government classes each term? Is the administration a firm believer in the value of all of our athletics programs? Our Greek system? Our substantial affinity-housing programs? Our D-Plan?

These questions are not designed to be accusatory or to be met with angry redress. If our current administration continues to bristle at criticism, it misses the point entirely. Thus far, the most progress I've seen is the "Ask Dartmouth" feature on the College's web site. Unfortunately, the 'open discussion' that goes on there has not been very controversial or scrupulous. Surprised?

There will always be those who love the College dearly and who will bleed green to see it flourish. That spirit exists in the student and alumni body, and we see it unleashed when campus controversy stirs our blood. We also see it in smaller flashes of brilliance, whether on the athletic field, in the classroom or in a chance walk across the Green.

The presidential search is underway, and Dartmouth's direction is at a tipping point. New leadership must harness the students and alumni in every step of its decision-making, vision and implementation of new policy. The current administration can take the necessary first steps.

I ask President Wright and the administration to put any smoke and mirrors of politics aside. You've done just that with sensible reforms to the alcohol policy and with your courageous stance for conversation within the Amethyst Initiative. Speak to us plainly and clearly about these and other challenges. We don't expect a short or simple answer.