Anthony named College's first female ISTS director

Denise Anthony, chair of Dartmouth's sociology department, will take over the post of research director for Dartmouth's Institute for Security, Technology and Society, reflecting the program's initiative to integrate social science perspectives into its research. Anthony's appointment, announced last Friday, marks the first time in the College's history that a woman, or a professor with a background in social science, holds the two-year position.

Anthony will replace former ISTS director David Kotz, a computer science professor. The institute was formerly called the Institute for Security Technology Studies.

Anthony said she believes the ISTS built an impressive foundation of computer science, engineering and a solid focus on security and privacy issues under Kotz's two years of leadership.

"I hope people recognize that security issues, privacy issues, are connected to social interaction and policy," Anthony said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "I hope during my tenure, in addition to building on that foundation, we can expand on the very important computer science and engineering work while broadening our connections to the social sciences, expanding our relevant interdisciplinary projects."

Anthony, who has been a professor at the College since 1999, has worked closely with the Institute in recent years. Her research, though related to cyber-security, is not technologically based -- rather, she has collaborated with computer science professors to examine how people trust technology and their security when sharing information online. She cites her work as an example of the way that the technical elements of the ISTS relate to the world at large.

"I'm not someone who always has the latest technology, but the way we use technology has unbelievably far-reaching effects," she said. "For example, a lot of people think of cyber security and cooperation and trust online as individual behavior. But look at all the file and information sharing that occurs on the Dartmouth network. Our work is really relevant to a wide variety of activities."

Anthony plans to expand the interaction and collaboration between Dartmouth's various academic departments and programs over the next two years. She added that she aims to maintain already-existing strong student involvement in ISTS projects, she said.

"We have a very wide range of students involved in research, from sociology majors to future computer scientists and engineers," Anthony said.

Earlier this year the Institute was awarded the prestigious CAE-R distinction from the National Security Association and Department of Homeland Security, which recognized 23 colleges and universities for their work in information assurance.