Free Rides: Un-fare?

I rode an Advance Transit bus for the first time last week -- this is not necessarily a big deal. And while I don't have any research to back myself up, I'm sure there are plenty of Dartmouth students who have never used Advance Transit. That being said, many Dartmouth students do take the shuttle: to DHMC for internships or physical therapy, to go shopping in West Lebanon and -- for those lucky freshmen who live in the River -- to return to their dorm (it's a long walk). Not to mention the Upper Valley residents who use the service, some who cannot afford cars. What's great about Advance Transit is its price -- but can it stay free much longer?

In light of rising fuel costs costs, a recent Valley News editorial argued that the public should start paying for bus rides. According to the Valley News, Advance Transit planned for gas to be $2.66 per gallon of diesel this year; instead, prices have risen as high as $4.40 per gallon. The company is currently doing a study to evaluate whether establishing a fare system will deter too many customers from using the service.

"There's no such thing as a free ride," the Valley News concludes. And yet, there truly has been in Hanover.

It seems a shame to remove such a service; besides the fact that it provides for the elderly who no longer drive and those unable to afford cars, public transportation has environmental benefits. For example, a free bus ride convinced me to take the shuttle to DHMC last week rather than borrow a friend's car. If it cost money to ride the bus, I would be more inclined to borrow a car even though taking the bus combats pollution and saves fuel. After all, paying back a friend is easier than buying a bus ticket -- I can just cover their breakfast next Saturday instead of making a run to the ATM (another long walk).

Doing what is easiest for us may be unfortunate, but it's the norm -- people need incentives even to do what they know is better. Even if tickets only cost $1, it will take time to charge everyone. Getting on the bus will take ten minutes instead of two, and traffic on Main Street will get worse. Free rides encourage those who have the means to make the choice to choose public transportation, which benefits the community and the environment both now and in the long run.

On the other hand, Advance Transit's free rides depend on the sponsorship of the College, DHMC and other government and private organizations. If Advance Transit continues to be a free service, donors will have to contribute more. While the College values giving back to the community, rising oil prices affect Dartmouth's operations and investments too. Giving more to help Advance Transit compensate for the price of oil would force the College to raise tuition sooner.

Thinking about the pressures of rising costs and numbers of customers, organizations like the Vermont Agency of Transportation plan to hold public forums about the future of public transportation. Advance Transit would surely benefit from hearing from Upper Valley residents about instituting a fare system. But forums like this focus more on short-term needs rather than the big picture. As David Eckels, director of Residential Operations at the College, said, our goal should be to improve sustainability ("Fuel costs hurt the College investments," June 27).

Here is another way for Dartmouth students to make an impact on the Upper Valley: the College should donate expertise to help keep public transportation free.

With the Big Green Bus, the organic farm and various sustainable housing and dining efforts, plus the Thayer School of Engineering speaking for Dartmouth's experience with and commitment to sustainability, the College has the resources to explore long-term solutions for enterprises like Advance Transit.

Maybe the negatives of charging a bus fare will motivate Upper Valley residents and Dartmouth students to seek out a better solution that will carry public transportation further into the future.

Working together now for sustainable public services for the College and the community will set a great tone for the future of Dartmouth as part of the Upper Valley. As we take time during our sophomore summer to explore the surrounding communities (usually in our cars), we must consider and get involved in the future of those communities and the people who live here for more than four years.