Baseball wins both games in doubleheader at Princeton

The trip from Hanover to New Jersey is a lot easier to make when you're going there to win.

In the Ivy League opener for both schools, Dartmouth (8-7, 2-0 Ivy) beat Princeton (8-11, 0-2 Ivy) twice in a doubleheader on Saturday, winning 5-4 in game one and 8-5 in the nightcap.

In the first game, Brett Gardner '10 drove in the winning run with a sacrifice fly in extra innings. It was the second time in two games that Dartmouth scored to win the game in its last at-bats.

In the second game, Dartmouth collected 13 hits to put eight runs on the board, marking the fifth time in as many games that Dartmouth's hit total has been in double digits.

"We're all just in the right mindset," Nick Santomauro '10 said. "We're all getting up there confident that we're going to get a hit, and that's the way it should be."

In game one, Princeton head coach Scott Bradley opted to send in a freshman pitcher in extra innings, bringing in David Palms to replace junior Brad Gemberling.

Despite Bradley's confidence in his pitching choice, Palms took the mound facing the heart of the Big Green lineup in a critical moment in the contest.

Damon Wright '08 started off the winning inning with a single to center field. He was caught at home trying to even the score when Santomauro reached base on a fielder's choice.

Wright's effort allowed Michael Pagliarulo '09 to reach third and set up Gardner's game winning sacrifice.

"Everything Damon brings to the game is just an amazing tool," Santomauro said. "He can run, he can hit, he's having an amazing year. Any team would be fortunate to have him as their teammate."

Left-hander Russell Young '08 went the distance for the Big Green, earning his second win of the season. He struck out eight batters and walked two in eight innings of work.

"Everytime Russ is out there you're almost positive he's going to get a win," Santomauro said. "We just have to get him some runs and you know he's going to hold down the fort on his end."

Dartmouth was strong out of the gate in the opening tilt as Wright showed off his speed and base running ability.

In the first inning, he singled to center and stole second, coming full circle for the first run of the game after an error by Princeton's second baseman Matt Connor.

The Tigers evened the score in the bottom of the second inning on an RBI double by Andrew Doupe.

Dartmouth traded runs with the Tigers in the middle innings. Pagliarulo scored on a fielder's choice in the fourth, giving Dartmouth the lead again. The Tigers tied the score at two in the bottom of the frame.

The fifth inning was an explosion of offense for both teams. Wright tripled to right field, driving in Dartmouth's two runs in the frame.

Princeton responded with five hits, scoring two runs with two outs to bring the score to 4-2.

The Tigers responded in their half of the fifth with two runs of their own, evening the score at 4-4. Young forced a pop-up out in foul territory to strand three runners and prevent the Tigers from blowing the game open.

Dartmouth fell into a four-run deficit by the third inning of the second game.

Jake Pruner '11 struggled early in the first conference game of his career. He gave up five runs over six innings of work, including three in the first, but Dartmouth's offensive effort allowed him to garner the first win of his collegiate career.

Erik Bell '08 cut into the deficit in the fifth to three with an RBI grounder scoring Jason Blydell '08.

In the sixth inning, Dartmouth broke the game wide open, scoring seven runs on seven hits to take back the lead.

Pagliarulo kicked off the one-out rally with a single to left field and Dartmouth never looked back.

Princeton scored a run in the bottom of the sixth to get back within striking distance, and loaded the bases in the seventh.But Bobby Steinsdoerfer '07, working in relief, allowed them to get no closer. Steinsdoerfer held the Tigers scoreless for two innings, striking out three and walking four.

Dartmouth will be back in action at Siena College this Wednesday.