June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Students compete in medieval gaming

Dressed in period attire, students play medieval games on Wednesday.

"They're a really interesting group. They believe souls are trapped in an endless cycle of reincarnation." Campbell said, sporting a handmade tunic to complete his persona at the first ever Medieval Games Night on Wednesday.

Campbell was not the only person dressed in traditional medieval garb during the event, which took place in Collis Common Ground. The game night, advertised as a "Fortune's Tourney," featured traditional medieval food, a fencing demonstration and a medieval board game tournament.

Current MEaD president Taylor Campbell '11, brother of Brian Campbell, fought an opponent, who was dressed as a Spanish pirate in a red tunic and feathered hat, in a mock duel. Both were armed with traditional rapiers.

The prize for the tournament winner was a "hand calligraphied" scroll and the winner's choice of a traditional medieval board game, made by MEaD member Brigette Jones '08. Jones, also known as Brighid, has been a member of MEaD since her freshman year. Her interest with medieval culture arose from her Irish heritage.

"That's where my interest in Celts comes from," Jones said. "I'm a fantasy nut."

A few students shuffled about the tables, nibbling on the medieval white tart, a fifteenth century Italian ancestor of cheesecake, and trying their hand at the many simple board games. Anna Ludlow '10, for example, played a game called Nine Man's Morris, described by Brian Campbell as "a more advanced version of Tic-Tac-Toe." Ludlow decided to attend the event after receiving a blitz from a member of the marching band. It was her first time at a MEaD event, she said.

Other games included Liar's Dice, played in Pirates of the Caribbean, and hneftafl, or Lord's Tables, a Scandinavian forerunner of chess, Jones said.

The most difficult game, according to Brian Campbell, was the ancient Chinese game Go. With 361 possible moves per turn and over 200 moves per game, the game is still popular in contemporary China, he said.

"It's an even deeper game than chess," he said. "Computers have beaten chess grand masters, but computers can't beat even an amateur at Go."

Founded by Michael Fromberg '93, MEaD membership is composed of more faculty and community members than undergraduates.

"We only have three undergraduates, and one of them is going to graduate wicked soon," Kevan Grimaldi '04, a MEaD member and College employee, said.

A major goal of last night's event was to spread awareness of the group and recruit more undergraduate members, said Grimaldi, also known as Altani, who was dressed in the garb of an ancient Mongol.

The group is affiliated with the Society for Creative Anachronism, an international organization dedicated to medieval reenactment. The organization, created in Berkeley, California in the 1960s, divides the country into kingdoms and shires.

The organization holds weekly meetings in the Tudor room of Sanborn Library and fencing practice in McLaughlin Cluster. They host a Renaissance fair called Williamsfaire every fall and offer workshops in jewelry, medieval herbalism and costuming. In addition, members often attend events held by the SCA.

MEaD is holding their quarterly event, titled The Inn at Knotty Crossing, a re-creation of a thirteenth century English inn, at the Dartmouth Outing Club House this Sunday.

"The purpose is to gather people to socialize," MEaD member Christine Toutain-Kidd said.

Guests are encouraged "to dress in medieval garb," according to the flier that was distributed, but if one does not possess period attire, it is not required" "loaner clothes [will be] available at the feast."