Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth Daily Updates, a new communication system introduced by the Office of Public Affairs and Peter Kiewit Computing Services, began distributing its daily announcements to the Dartmouth community through e-mail Monday. The system, known at the College as D2U, was originally created at the University of Richmond and further developed at Brown University, according to The Vox of Dartmouth. The College chose to implement the system after a 2006 McKinsey & Co. study of administrative operations demonstrated the need to better consolidate daily administrative information and other campus news on the College's official website. D2U presents a "daily briefing" on the project's website and also sends an email compilation of the day's announcements to all faculty, staff and students. The news and announcements can be submitted by any administrative or academic employee of the College, and will be reviewed by a D2U editor. The project's website can be accessed at http://d2u.dartmouth.edu.

The Thayer School of Engineering will introduce the country's first Innovation Program next fall, which will supplement the doctoral engineering program with entrepreneurial training, according to a Thayer press release. Through the program, Thayer's Ph.D. candidates will learn how to apply their engineering skills to fields such as finance, accounting, marketing, environmental studies, communications and medicine. Students will also have the opportunity to supplement their studies with a three- to six-month internship at an entrepreneurial company. Upon graduation, students in the program will receive an innovation certificate in addition to their Ph.D. diploma. The program is funded partially by the gifts of two alumni families: The William F. Holekamp '70 Family, and an anonymous alumnus's family.