Sound Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

You might not wear black leather to class or stage makeup to the frats, but you probably like the musical genre of metal more than you think. Divya Gunasekaran explains.

You may not agree as of yet, but you like metal. I realize it's presumptuous of me to tell you what you like, and I know the generalizations must be killing you by now, but I did warn you from the start that this would happen. Regardless of the consequences of my superiority complex, the fact remains that you like metal.

I'd like to clarify that I don't particularly like a lot of metal music. Slayer, Anthrax and company are not really my cup of tea. But I love the mores of the rock 'n' roll culture for which metal is largely responsible, and I'm a fan of the associated badass attitude that appeals to so many people.

The customs we know and love are now associated with rock in general and have even spread to other facets of life, but they got their start in metal. Headbanging was originally seen in metal bands as guitarists took up battle stances on stage and shook their heads to the furiously fast riffs they were playing, or as drummers banged their heads in the air in time with their angry beats. The devil horns hand gesture, one that I happily employ at any given and usually incongruous opportunity, came into existence in the metal scene, allegedly first used by Gene Simmons of Kiss, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he claimed to have invented Rock 'n' Roll.

However, the most prominent aspect of metal culture is the attitude. The utter lack of regard for social norms is more than admirable; it's inspiring. Metal bands took what was once taboo and, under disapproving glares and shocked cries, created a following. Satanic themes and the occult were no longer something to fear, but something to revel in. Ozzy Osbourne became the Prince of Darkness and created an outlet for the rebellious dark side in all of us.

If you're just not that into devil worship (don't be ashamed if you're not -- I won't judge), don't think that there's nothing for you in the metal culture. Many metal bands are all about having fun; their fun just happens to involve bizarre costumes with equally crazy backstories behind them. Gwar's band members wear Styrofoam costumes, and simulated decapitations at the beginning of their shows are not uncommon. Why? Well, duh, because the band consists of bloodthirsty warriors from another planet who are now hell-bent on the annihilation of the human race. Similarly, the members of the Finnish band Lordi deck themselves in latex monster costumes because yes, they happen to be monsters. Captured! By Robot's one human member (the other eight members are robots " no joke) wears an S&M mask and chains, but not by choice. You see, the robots that the human, who now goes by the name of JBOT, built for his band unexpectedly rebelled against him, installed a chip in his brain and now humiliate and torture him. It's a pretty typical band backstory.

Would you ever see Hillary Duff, or any pop star for that matter, take on a radical persona and commit to it with such dedication? Of course not (with the possible exception of Britney Spears). Why? They're so focused on how the media and society will receive them that they just can't let go of their outer images, throw on foam rubber suits and believe -- truly believe -- that they are the mutant spawn of Satan sent from the bowels of Hell to enslave all humans and dominate Earth. Because they're lame.

Though the costumes haven't caught on, other staples of metal culture have. Black nail polish, once dismissed with scoffs as a trend only for Goths, punks and then metal heads, became so popular and fashionable that, for reasons unbeknownst to me, consumers were willing to sell their souls for Chanel's limited edition "Black Satin" nail polish. The previously feared skull and crossbones are now as common as the peace sign was during the '60s. Hot Topic feels the need to plaster the symbol a million times on every item the store sells, overusing the image until it died and went to clich limbo. Even metal couldn't completely escape commercialization.

If you don't listen to the music, there's still some aspect of the culture you connect to, whether it's the physical gestures, the fashion, the rebellious nature or the simple love of the absurd. Thus, by an improper application of the transitive property (or some other algebraic property from sixth grade that I will never again have to use), you like metal. Q.E.D.