Daily Debriefing

Brian McMahon Tu'79 will assume his new position of chief executive officer of Thornburg Investment Management Inc., a Sante Fe-based investment company with that manages $50 billion this month. McMahon, the company's former president and chief investment officer, has been with Thornburg since 1984. He is also a manager for the Thornburg Investment Income Builder Fund and the Thornburg Global Opportunities Fund. Thornburg manages fixed income funds, equity funds and individual accounts.

James Joyce Tu'86 has been appointed to serve as director of the board of Overstock.com, an internet retailer of name brand products at reduced prices, from Jan. 14, 2008 to 2010. Joyce, who has advised the company since 2005, is also the chief executive officer of Icent LLC, an information technology company. Joyce has also worked for Bain Consulting. "James is intimately familiar with the company and has been providing excellent advice to the company for years. I'm pleased that he is now officially on the board," Patrick Byrne, the chairman and chief executive officer of Overstock.com told the Associated Press.

Guillermo Ansaldo Tu'89 was appointed General Manager of Telefonica Espana, a leading telecommunications operator in the Portuguese and Spanish-speaking world. Ansaldo was a partner with McKinsey and Company management consulting firm until 2000 and served as chief executive officer of Telefonica de Argentina from 2000 to 2004, before being appointed chief operations officer for Telefonica de Espana, a subsidiary of Telefonica Espana.