Mirror Picks

Book: "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk

Chuck Palahniuk's "Fight Club" unjustly overshadows his fourth novel, "Choke." Filled with Palahniuk's characteristic gritty storytelling, raw imagery and laugh-out-loud dark humor, "Choke" presents readers with a complete picture of the life of an incomplete man. We're given not just a peek, but a long look through a magnifying glass at the life of a sex addict who has unresolved issues with his mother and makes a practice of conning strangers out of money and love. You'll be shocked at how relatable he is. -- Divya Gunasekaran

MUSIC: "Cheap Thrills" by Big Brother and the Holding Company (1999)

I'm on a Joplin kick again. Okay, yes, I know you already know "Piece of My Heart." But when was the last time you listened to it? That's what I thought. Listen to it. And when you walk out of your next brutal job interview/exam/relationship, discouraged and disenchanted, listen to it again. Janis understands. -- Jean Ellen Cowgill

Movie: "Kinky Boots" (2005)

Kinky Boots is a comedy about a faltering shoe factory in England. The timid young owner tries to save the factory by making high-heeled boots specifically for drag queens, and the conservative ma-and-pa business mixes with the world of flamboyant cross dressers. It has a slightly predictable, touchingly sweet plot, and features a bunch of unknown British actors, but it is definitely a feel-good movie. The title is slightly misleading, though; there's not much sexual content. Just the boots are kinky. -- Erin Choo

TV: "Project Runway," Bravo, Wednesdays at 10 pm.

In each episode, aspiring designers face new challenges,like creating dresses out of recycling or f resh flowers. The final three designers get their own show at New York's Fashion Week, with the winner taking home money to create his own line. Watch the past three seasons on iTunes or wait until Nov. 14, when season four begins. -- Eve Ahearn