Anti-sexism posters turn heads

An anonymous student group,
An anonymous student group,

The flyers jeered male athletic teams for continuing to sing the old, "Men of Dartmouth" version of the Alma Mater. Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity was decried for its Homecoming T-shirt, as was Psi Upsilon fraternity for an e-mail they sent out about a cocktail party. In another flyer, an unnamed male was singled out for boasting about a drunken sexual conquest.

The flyer about the male athletic teams read, "Did you know that more than one male athletic team that still sings the old version of the alma mater? You know, the one that doesn't recognize female Dartmouth students? Thanks Male Athletes! Love, The Daughters of Dartmouth."

Chi Gam's homecoming T-shirt, advertising for their annual "Come as You Are" party, had a picture of a woman running on the back with the caption, "Come as you are, because running won't fix your face!" The Daughters of Dartmouth flyer re-printed this caption, followed by, "Thanks Chi Gam! Love, The Daughters of Dartmouth."

The anti-Psi U flyer reproduced the offending portion of the e-mail, which said that sisters from an unspecified sorority were coming over for wedding tails and "long story short, everybody gets laid." The flyer concludes, "Thanks Psi U! Love, The Daughters of Dartmouth."

Another flyer read, "Did you hear this guy in the basement last night (I did!) 'Yeah she was pretty wasted, so I took her upstairs and banged her.' Thanks, you're such a sweet dude! Love, The Daughters of Dartmouth."

Student reaction to the flyers has been mixed.

"I support the flyers, I don't see how you couldn't," Kathleen Mayer '11 said. "Someone wrote 'F--k you, feminists on one of them, and I don't understand how a person could feel so angry that they would feel impelled to write that."

"If anything, the flyers are too cheeky, and should carry a more serious tone," she added.

In addition to the "F--k you" graffito, other flyers were scribbled with derogatory statements. Under "Love, The Daughters of Dartmouth" someone had written, "not getting any since 1973" and "infamous for cock-blocking." A large, crudely drawn phallus was also depicted.

Others have taken a more skeptical stance.

"I suppose that I generally support their point of view," Dylan Kane '09 said, "but it seems that there are more effective ways of addressing this kind of topic than anonymously posting sarcastic messages. It's kind of a one-way street."

"Feminists need to choose: chivalry or equality," Kane Kunz '11 said.

Chi Gam president Chase Carpenter '08 and Psi U president Michael Kreicher '08 did not return The Dartmouth's requests for comment.