Security stepped up for weekend

As members of the Class of 2011 run 111 times around the bonfire and alumni flock to campus to relive old traditions, it falls on Safety and Security to ensure that everyone stays safe in the process.

Harry C. Kinne, College proctor and head of Safety and Security, said that while security will be increased during Homecomming weekend, he does not anticipate any significant problems this weekend.

"Of course, we'll have extra people stationed across campus," Kinne said. "All of Safety and Security's personnel will be present at Friday night's bonfire, and extra patrols will be dispatched across campus throughout the weekend."

Kinne said that he expects this year's Homecomming to go smoothly, citing that fewer students were arrested during last year's Homecomming than in the fours previous years.

"Last year, for the most part, people were very well behaved, and we're looking to replicate that this year," he said.

Dartmouth Safety and Security will work in conjunction with the Hanover Police department and Green Mountain Security. While Safety and Security enforces College policies, the Hanover Police enforce New Hampshire state law.

Some violations, including the possession of alcohol by consumption, can fall under both forces' jurisdictions. During Homecomming weekend, Hanover Police will assume initial control over any underage student who is arrested while intoxicated until he or she has been charged after which Safety and Security will take the student into its custody to protect his or her safety, according to Kinne.

New Hampshire Liquor Control may also maintain a presence on campus, although the department has not yet notified Safety and Security of any potential plans, Kinne said.

"It wouldn't be at all surprising to see them on Webster Avenue," Kine said. "They know when our big weekends are."

As in past years, Hanover Police will park a dispatch van on the green to serve as a "command center" for both the Hanover Police and Safety and Security in an effort to centralize campus security.

"We ask for cooperation from all the Dartmouth students, and we encourage them to come to the command center with any issues or concerns," Kinne said.

New this year is an organized version of "rushing the field," which has been forbidden in years past. Members of the Class of 2011 will be allowed to run onto the football field and form their class number " a giant 11.

"It's pretty neat to be starting a new tradition," Kinne said. "It's a great idea for a class oriented event that will become a part of Homecoming in the future."

As for personal safety during the weekend, Kinne said that Safety and Security's main goal is to keep Dartmouth students healthy, happy, and having fun.

"The best advice we can give is to encourage everyone to be safe," Kinne said. "If students choose to drink, we advise them to do it in moderation."

Kinne added that he has high hopes for the weekend as a whole.

"Dartmouth students will look out for other Dartmouth students. It's a great weekend, and our goal is to make it a positive experience for everyone."