Hanover residents embrace Homecoming, student parties

Despite visions of Homecoming releasing hordes of drunken students upon the unsuspecting populace of Hanover, the town remains largely unconcerned with one of the three big weekends at Dartmouth.

"I don't think people have much of an anti-Homecoming stance because they choose to live here," said Lia Heaney a junior at Hanover High School. `Few residents have any significant problems with Dartmouth's activities, including Homecoming, because Dartmouth figures so prominently in the town of Hanover, Heaney added. Living in Hanover without appreciating Dartmouth's impact on the town would not make sense, according to Heany.

"Most townies are alums, professors, or work at the DHMC," Eli Mitchell '10 noted. Mitchell grew up in Hanover and attended Hanover High School her freshman year.

"We love [Homecoming]," Mitchell said. "It gives us another reason to party. Townies are chill."

While most Hanover residents enjoy Homecoming, the weekend does not have a large impact on the regular life of the town.

"[Homecoming is] not a big deal, really," said Lucie Torrey, a senior at Hanover High School. "People are aware of it, and a lot of people go to the bonfire, but it doesn't change our normal weekend much."

The Bonfire is the event Hanover residents most associate with Homecoming, according to Torrey.

"It's something I've grown up with and went to when I was little," Torrey said. "It's a special fall tradition as much for the members of the community as for [Dartmouth] students, although obviously not the drinking and running around part."

As for the "drinking and running around" aspect of Homecoming, Torrey noted that her parents would always take her family home before the bonfire had completely burned down, the time at which she said the event "got pretty sketchy."

"The later it goes on, the less interested the adults are in what goes on," Torrey said.

For many Hanover High School students, the bonfire is a good way to start the evening, but not a way to spend an entire Friday night, Heaney added.

"The bonfire's like a meeting spot, so we go there to meet up and then we all have different plans," Heaney said. "We'll meet up at the bonfire, then go to EBA's or something like that."

While some Hanover High students may try to sneak into Homecoming parties, Heaney said that most do not.

"I didn't even know the parties existed," Mitchell recalled. "I thought the Bonfire was the big deal. I didn't realize that everyone was drunk!"

One Hanover High student, however, admitted to attending a Homecoming party. The individual wished to remain anonymous for fear of parental repercussions.

"I have gone to a Dartmouth Homecoming party, and yes, they are fun," the individual wrote in an e-mail message to The Dartmouth.

The annual Dartmouth football game on Saturday is an additional event that draws College students and Hanover residents together, as do the soccer games, according to Heaney. Torrey noted, however, that the Bonfire remains the biggest draw to most residents.

"I think every person in the community enjoys the bonfire," Torrey said.

Hanover businesses also enjoy Homecoming, as they experience increased traffic during the weekend, said Chris Heidelberg, a barista at the Dartmouth Bookstore Cafe.

"There are definitely more people coming in," Heidelberg said. "Bonfire is the second or third biggest day of the year for us, but Homecoming really is no different than any other time."

Heidelberg said that the stereotype of Dartmouth students among residents of Hanover is that students are always either reading or drinking.

"What's the difference between Homecoming weekend and any other weekend?" he asked.

Roze Klusman, a waitress at the Canoe Club restaurant in Hanover, noted that Homecoming has a very positive atmosphere.

"We recognize the weekend," Klusman said. "We gear up for it. It gets kind of exciting with the band [at Canoe Club] and everything."

While Klusman must remain in the restaurant to work all evening, she said that most of the wait staff try to watch the students march through town. Many also watch the Bonfire through the Canoe Club's windows.

"It's kind of funny because people like to have dinner really, really early, and then they're like 'it's time for the Bonfire' and they're all gone," Klusman noted.

The Dartmouth Co-Op stays open two hours later than usual so that freshmen can pick up their jerseys at the last minute, said Paul Bouchard, the manager of the Co-Op. Class jerseys are one of the biggest selling trends for the Co-Op, Bouchard noted.

"It's a once a year thing we get ready for," Bouchard said. "We get a steady flow of customers, but it's really just a regular day with a couple of extra hours."

The Co-Op remains "pretty busy" throughout the weekend, but Bouchard said that he and the rest of the store welcome the increased traffic.

"Everyone is outside enjoying the march and bonfire and we just watch the students walk by," Bouchard said.