Big Green women's soccer plays to a double-overtime tie

Dartmouth fought for 110 minutes, but this weekend's match against the Lions ended in a tie.

The draw brings Dartmouth's overall record to 3-8-2 and 1-2-1 in the Ivy League, while Columbia is now 6-4-4 overall and 1-2-1 in league play. The overall series record is now 17-2-3, in favor of Dartmouth. While historically, the Big Green has dominated the Lions, Columbia's soccer program has made strides, going 2-1-1 against Dartmouth over the past four years.

Asked if the rain and the less-than-ideal footing had affected the team's play, co-captain Monica Martin de Bustamane '08 called the conditions a non-factor.

"It was tough in the beginning, but once we got used to [the rain], it wasn't an issue at all," she said.

In the first half, the Big Green came out firing on all cylinders. In the 13th minute, Dartmouth's offensive pressure paid off, as the Big Green took a 1-0 lead courtesy of Ali Hubbard '10's beautiful strike to the top left corner of the goal, beyond the reach of Columbia goalkeeper Rebecca Taylor. Peyton Tata '11 provided the assist on the play by setting up Hubbard with a well-placed header. This was the second straight game in which Hubbard has scored early for the Big Green.

Dartmouth kept up the offensive pressure throughout the first half, but Columbia would find a way to level the score off of a counterattack.

The Lions' Lindsey Cowles hammered home a header from point-blank range off of a cross. Big Green goalkeeper Amanda Webb '08 could do nothing to stop the shot, as Columbia knotted the score. Keri Nobil and Sophie Reiser were credited with an assist on the play.

The teams headed into halftime with the score all tied up at 1-1. At the half, the teams were statistically even, with Dartmouth holding a slight 5-4 advantage in shots while both teams earned four corner kick opportunities.

Both teams were determined not to give up the go-ahead goal, as the second half was an intense defensive battle. The Lions came out of the half immediately earning a corner kick, but the Dartmouth defense was up to the task and denied a Columbia attempt on goal. Both teams' defenses slammed the door on the opposition when it seemed like there would be an opportunity to score. The last shot for either team came in the 78th minute, when Columbia's Chrissy Butler took a shot, only to have it saved comfortably by Webb.

Overtime was much of the same, as both teams played an extremely physical style of play, fighting through the fatigue in search of the elusive game-winner. Columbia had the best opportunity during the sudden-death overtime periods when Kelly Hostetler took a shot from close range, but Webb was there to make the stop.

Webb made eight saves in the contest, while her counterpart Taylor recorded five stops.

While the team was unable to come away with a victory during Homecoming, Head Coach Angie Hind was impressed with the way her team fought hard for 110 minutes and praised her defensive players.

"I thought we played very well," Hind said. "Columbia played a physical game but we didn't give up the entire game. Webb did very well in goal, along with Annie Stanley '08 and Emily Forline '09."

The Big Green returns to action next Saturday, Oct. 27, when Dartmouth travels to Cambridge, Mass. to take on the Harvard Crimson. The Crimson is 9-4-1 overall and 2-2 in Ivy League play. The squad is coming off of a 4-2 victory against previous Ivy League frontrunner Princeton.

Martin de Bustamante and her teammates hope to find victory next week against a strong Harvard squad.

"We're definitely going to work on finishing our chances. We are very dangerous on the attack, we just need to put the ball in the back of the net," Martin de Bustamante said.