Big Green men's golf performs consistently at NEIGA

Captain Jamie Wallace '08 shot a two-day 152 to finish tied for 15th place.

While the rest of the College struggled through midterms and classes for the last two days, the men's golf team concluded its fall season in style -- finishing fifth of 42 teams in the New England Intercollegiate Golf Association Championships.

The Big Green played very steady golf through both days of the tournament. On the first day, the Dartmouth men shot a combined 312, while the team shot a 308 the second day, totaling at 620, 20 strokes behind tournament champion, University of Rhode Island.

Although it was a solid finish for the Big Green, the team thought it could have done better.

"We sort of held it together for a respectable finish but it was not what we were looking for [going into the tournament]," team captain Jamie Wallace '08 said.

In addition, the weather was a significant influence on scoring at this week's NEIGA Championships.

"The course was not too difficult but played very difficult because it was extremely windy both days," Wallace said.

The greens were quite difficult for Dartmouth competitors.

"The greens were not very good and it was tough to hole putts," Wallace said.

Brian Cawley of Salem State University won the individual title, shooting an even par during the two rounds of competition, including a 70 (-2) the first day. The University of Rhode Island also claimed two of the top four finishers. Its top two players finished third and fourth with a 148 and 149, respectively.

Dartmouth's top individual finisher was Wallace. Wallace led the Big Green for the first time this fall, taking the honor away from Davis Mullany '11, who had a less-than-stellar weekend finishing tied for 78th overall with a two day total of 161 (+17). Wallace shot a 152 and ended in a tie for 15th place.

Mullany attributed his poor play to his short game.

"I played poorly mostly because of my putting. Normally my putting is the best part of my game -- I survive with it," Mullany said. "This tournament, I putted absolutely terribly."

Fortunately for the Dartmouth men, other players stepped up in Mullany's place. Rob Henley '09 finished with a 154 (+10) and tied for 23rd individually.

In his first tournament appearance this fall, Dan Egan '10 shot a 158 (+14) which was good enough to put him in a tie for 58th place in the individual competition.

The team praised Egan's play on the second day in particular.

"Dan had a great second day that saved our team score," Wallace said. "We threw away a lot of strokes the second day, turning what could have been good rounds from Rob Henley and myself into very mediocre ones."

Dave Putney '10 was the fifth and final golfer for the Big Green this weekend. He managed a 162 (+18) -- one stroke behind Mullany.

Mullany was very optimistic about the team's Ivy League prospects after a somewhat disappointing fall season.

"I think the team has a great shot at winning the Ivys," Mullany said. "It is any team's tournament this year. If we play well, we will definitely be tough to beat."

The team returns to the course in the spring for the remainder of its competition, including The Ivy League Championships.