Big Green blows 28-point lead in overtime loss

Quarterback Tom Bennewitz '08 threw for two touchdowns in the first half only to see a 28-0 lead disappear.

The Big Green (0-1) joined the crowd of over 5,000 in watching a 28-0 lead evaporate before their eyes as Colgate kicker Mike Buck nailed a 36-yard field goal in overtime to seal a 31-28 Raider victory.

Dartmouth went from dominating to powerless as Colgate (2-1), led by junior Jordan Scott, turned a huge blowout into a massive comeback, drive by drive.

"It was an incredible comeback," Raiders' head coach Dick Biddle said. "The best game I've been involved with."

Despite 156 rushing yards -- 111 of which came in the first half -- tailback Milan Williams '09's day will be remembered for two fourth-quarter fumbles, the avoidance of either one of which would likely have saved the game for the Big Green. One came on the Colgate 14-yard line, the other on the 7 with less than a minute left.

Quarterback Tom Bennewitz '08 was impressive during regulation. Starting his first game since a season-ending injury in last year's opener against Colgate, he threw for 178 yards and three scores.

The Big Green began the game firing on all cylinders. Bennewitz connected with Eric Paul '09 on the opening drive, and a fumble on the ensuing kickoff set up tight end Carrol Papajohn '10 for his first career touchdown catch to give Dartmouth a 14-0 lead just three minutes into the game.

Williams danced around Colgate defenders all half, and a nine-yard touchdown scamper after a Chris Blanco '07 interception deep in Raiders' territory put Dartmouth up 21-0. Dartmouth would add one more score early in the third quarter, solidifying a 28-0 lead.

Defensive play in the first half made Dartmouth's lead seem extra-secure. The Big Green defense forced five Colgate turnovers, including a crucial interception by strong safety Ian Wilson '08 on the one-yard line late in the first half.

"We did exactly what we wanted to do," head coach Buddy Teevens said. "We worked a long time to put ourselves in a position to win."

Scott, Colgate's Preseason All American, rushed for 157 yards and two touchdowns in the third quarter, with no carries longer than 20 yards, as the Raiders slammed Dartmouth's tiring defensive line play after play.

"We just couldn't tackle him," Max Copello '09 said of Scott.

The Raiders continued to control the ball in the fourth quarter andscored again after Andrew Kempler '08 missed a 39-yard field goal to bring the game within a touchdown, 28-20.

Things briefly looked up for Dartmouth when Wilson forced a fumble on the Colgate 14-yard line, but Williams dropped the ball on the next play, the first of two crucial turnovers late in the game.

Only a few plays later Scott would break away for a 33-yard score. Colgate quarterback Alex Relph found Pat Simonds on the two-point conversion, tying the game with 6:41 left.

With the crowd behind them, Dartmouth took to the turf for its final drive of regulation, marching up the field to the Colgate five-yard line. With just 50 seconds remaining on the clock, Williams took the ball on third and three, but danced around the backfield for too long and fumbled.

"I was just fighting to get some extra yards, to try to make sure I got the first down. I just didn't have two hands on the ball," Williams said.

Dartmouth was completely shut down by the Colgate defense in overtime, leading to a fourth down interception. Colgate came onto the field, and after three short runs by Scott, kicked a 36-yard field goal to seal the comeback.

"It was the best win of my life," Raider linebacker Mike Gallihugh said.

Dartmouth players, disappointed in Saturday's result to be sure, remained optimistic about the season ahead.

"How we respond to this is going to determine the rest of our season," Teevens said.