Man Versus Beast

After Theta Delta Chi's inexcusable treatment of the women of Kappa

Kappa Gamma -- their own guests -- their president had one immediate responsibility: a courageous act of public contrition ("Kappas accuse Theta Delt of harassment," Aug. 3). He failed.

Ben Beisswenger first attempted to absolve himself, saying he was in another room and did not witness the incident. He followed this with an attempt to excuse Theta Delt's behavior by blaming the "hyped-up and very testosterone-filled" atmosphere of fraternity meetings. He then tried to blame the Dartmouth community as a whole for pressuring young men to conform to gender stereotypes. In other words, Theta Delt cannot be blamed; they are simply the victims of larger social forces.

When my father taught me the ways of a man, he taught me this: men choose their actions. When men refuse to choose their actions, hide from the consequences or fail to learn, they surrender their humanity and become dumb beasts. When a dog attacks people without provocation, we do not sympathize with it -- we simply put it down.

To any gentlemen among the brothers of Theta Delt, now is the moment to step up. Your first task is to remove your president. Mr. Beisswenger lacks the character to lead you. Second, you must make a public act of contrition. The slurs and random destruction may have been the acts of animals, but a sincere apology followed by real change is an act of men and worthy of respect.

If the men of Theta Delt truly do not condone their actions, then it is time for them to act like it.