The Hair Up There

It is not that I dislike all modern art. I have made many trips to the Museum of Modern Art in New York, perhaps like any college student aspiring to be "open minded," and I have generally been quite pleased. I am, however, not thrilled about the "truly epic commission of contemporary art" currently on display in Baker-Berry Library.

When I first encountered the display in the main entrance hall, I could not make out what it was. I tried to read the words written on "the green house," but unable to do so at first glance, I abandoned the effort. I did not find the display, which looked like the contents of a shower drain suspended in air, visually appealing. The rest of the exhibit -- the beige spool, the string decoration and the multicolored pizza -- were not much better. I thought hopefully to myself that whatever it is might come down soon.

Even from the start I had the sinking feeling that this might be "art."

The next day I was informed about the exhibit. My first reaction was gladness. I considered myself quite fortunate that I had not the time to engage in the kind of inquisitive childhood curiosity that might have prompted me to touch the exhibit unaware.

There seemed to be a great deal of hype about this exhibit so I read up on it so I could pass educated judgment. I still did not like it. But there are a few positive words I would like to say about it before I criticize.

Firstly, this art is apparently supposed to challenge (read: criticize) prevailing views of our system of education and globalization. While I do not agree with the political message behind the art, I think that it is an interesting way to make commentary.

The fact that the hair came predominantly from members of the Dartmouth community and local towns is somewhat redeeming, not only because the hair was not shaved off Chinese political prisoners but because of the gesture of community. And I do appreciate that the hair was glued together rather than just dumped in piles on the floor.

My final bit of praise is that this exhibit is infinitely better than much of the filth masquerading as modern art that usually makes the news -- "Piss Christ," a crucifix suspended in urine or "The Holy Virgin Mary" Mary fashioned out of elephant dung and small pornographic photographs. If our exhibit is somewhat gross and unattractive, it is at least not patently offensive.

But I do think that there are some serious problems with this exhibit. First and foremost is the first impression that such an exhibit will make on the hundreds of prospective students and parents who visit our school, especially during the summer term. The library, a beautiful building that is one of the centerpieces of this great campus is now somewhat tarnished -- if not totally defiled.

It is also troubling that this exhibit is touted as the most significant commission since the Orozco murals ("Gah-Gah for Gu," June 29). If that is the case, then the transition from the art of Orozco to that of Gu presents a very convincing case against the theory of evolution. That is to say, art seems to be getting worse instead of better. Yes, it too is an example of public art, but this is not the kind of exhibit that inspires the creation of beauty, this will make people want to put art back in the closet.

My final criticism deals with the choice of materials. When I find a piece of disconnected hair on or near my food or person, I am disgusted. Most people share that sentiment. Now we are surrounding ourselves with the same gross substance? And while we are trying to study no less! Also there are rumors, as yet unconfirmed, that the hair emits an unpleasant odor.

It is not that I do not like modern art. When Christo's saffron "Gates" were in New York City, I took the train to the city three separate times to see them. And in the weeks that I have been back on campus I have grown quite fond of the rock-pile sculpture in front of McNutt.

But the hair exhibit presents a negative image of our school to prospective students, denigrates past artistic achievements like that of Orozco and moderately disgusts many students. All of this for a mediocre message? And the fact that we are supposedly paying millions for it makes me want to tear my own hair out.