Marsalis's smooth soul comes to the Hop

Known for a lively, innovative and fervent sound, multi-Grammy award-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis will be bringing his explosive spontaneity to the Hopkins Center on Friday, August 10.

Marsalis will perform material from his latest record, "Braggtown," accompanied by quartet members, pianist Joey Calderazzo, drummer Jeff "Tain" Watts, and bassist Eric Revis. Marsalis said that the album reflects the growing technical skill of each member of the quartet and their increasing comfort in playing together.

The quartet has received much critical acclaim and a Grammy nomination for "Braggtown." The album is very high energy, and leading tracks "Jack Baker" and "Blakzilla" are both attempts to recreate the sound and feel of the group's live performances. Other songs, such as "Hope" and "Fate" are far calmer and feature Marsalis on soprano saxophone.

While writing for the album, Marsalis tried to emulate the sounds of John Coltrane, but also found inspiration in the forms of eclectic influences such as a Japanese horror film, a 17th-century English composer named Henry Purcell, and an Indian warrior.

Marsalis expects listening to the album to be an intense, engaging experience and describes his ideal listeners as "eager ... people who truly like music instead of simply liking to be entertained."

The oldest of four brothers, Marsalis was born and raised in a musical family in New Orleans. Marsalis studied at Southern University and Berklee and won early fame playing with Art Barkley's Jazz Messengers and in his brother Wynton's quintet. Branford also worked with jazz notables such as Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Herbie Hancock and Sonny Rollins before forming his own ensembles. In addition to his nomination for "Braggtown," Marsalis has received Grammy nominations for the group's last album, Eternal, and for his solo performance on Marsalis's first DVD "Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme:' Live in Amsterdam."

Marsalis has been recording steadily since 1983 and is celebrated for his technical skill, his passion for experimentation and his ability to blend different genres and styles of music. With his quartet, Marsalis performs jazz that shows the influence of the 1960s-era Miles Davis Quintet.

The quartet has also received praise for its ability to convey emotion and respect history. Marsalis has also performed classical music as a soloist, worked with Sting, and formed a band called Buckshot Lefonque, which merged jazz and hip-hop.

Marsalis's accomplishments extend beyond his acclaimed performances. He was the musical director for Jay Leno's "Tonight Show" for two years in the 90s, has appeared in several films, including "School Daze" and "Throw Mamma from the Train." He also started his own label, Marsalis Music, which supports emerging and established musicians.

A native of New Orleans, Marsalis recently teamed up with Harry Connick Jr., another New Orleans native, and Habitat for Humanity to build a "Musician's Village," a community for artists and their families displaced by Hurricanes Rita and Katrina. The village, in the city's historic ninth ward, includes Habitat-constructed homes and a community center and will help restore and revive the blues, jazz and Dixieland music that define the city's musical heritage. Marsalis also commits time to music education, coordinating performances and residencies by famous jazz artists in high schools and colleges across the country.

The quartet's performance, "An Evening with Branford Marsalis," begins at 8 p.m. Tickets will be $30 for the general public and $5 for Dartmouth students.