Classes reunite to remember, donate and play pong

During reunion season, 2,500 alumni and 1,500 guests descend upon Hanover -- many staying in residence halls recently and hastily vacated by current undergraduates.

This year's attendees will benefit from the introduction of continuing education activities, according to Corena Dungey from the Alumni Events office.

The Office of Alumni Continuing Education organized a series of seminars and classes where alumni can learn from and interact with current Dartmouth professors.

In one such seminar, French professor John Rassias discusses his internationally renowned language study method, and in another the nationally recognized Shakespeare professor Peter Saccio, who is retiring after this term, analyzes the intricacies of Shakespeare's writing.

"They're definitely out of the ordinary," Dungey said. "This is the first year that we've offered such a wide range of activities."

David Spalding '76, the College's vice president for alumni relations, asked the reunion coordinators to organize these classes with "a big push on his part," according to Dungey.

"He wants to increase the interaction between faculty and alumni," she explained.

The office plans to evaluate each of the sessions to improve them for next year.

John Einsidler '72, who is president of his class, said that many of these activities appear on his class's reunion schedule. While he plans to attend several of the seminars, he wants to focus on "hanging out" with his fellow classmates.

In that spirit, members of the Class of 1972 will participate in a range of sports activities, include tennis, golf, rowing and a reunion run on June 14.

Einsidler, however, expressed frustration with his reunion's Monday-to-Thursday weekday schedule.

"Ninety-five percent of our class is still working so they need to take off a week from work in order to come up," he said.

Einsidler said he expects 75 classmates and approximately 35 additional guests to attend.

Gauging interest in reunion activities, the Class of 2002 polled alumni in a "non-scientific survey" asking if they have a pong table or access to one, according to the class's reunion treasurer Vanessa Green. Twelve percent of the class responded in the affirmative.

"Point being: certainly, people are looking forward to reconnecting with their classmates and playing pong," Green said.

The Class of 2002 also cut costs for this year's reunion by relying on the internet. The class's reunion committee sent out many e-mails and "piggybacked" on the class newsletter, instead of sending a separate mailing. The regular registration fee was $130 per person.

"We're trying to make it as affordable as possible since a lot of people are still in school," she said.

Though only 486 people are currently signed up, the class anticipates that 500 will end up attending the reunion.

The Class of 1967, celebrating its 40th reunion this weekend, will turn over the "Custodian of the Old Pine" duty to the class of 2007, continuing its 40-year tradition. Pursuant to this obligation, the Class of 1967 placed a plaque where the old pine once stood and recently replanted a tree that, once fully grown, should replicate the old pine.

During their memorial service for deceased classmates, the class plans to adopt the sister of classmate Bill Smoyer '67, who died in the Vietnam War, according to class president Sam Ostrow '67. The Smoyer family has strongly supported the College, with Stanley Smoyer '34 donating $4.5 million for a new soccer facility in 2005.

The Class of 1974 is also donating $225,000 to the Hood Museum of Art.

Elissa McMillen Aten '92, the reunion chair for her class, said that the Class of 1992 plans to have a live and silent auction to benefit the Tucker Foundation during its class dinner on June 16. Aten aims to raise $5,000, which would be used to sponsor a Tucker Fellowship.

"It would just be something a little different," she explained.

The classes of 1991 and 1993 will join the Class of 1992 for their respective 15-year reunions, frequently celebrated in three-year groupings for purposes of convenience. Their joint reunions expect at least 275 adults in attendance, including 185 alumni. Aten said that she also expects 130 children to come for the weekend. Children aged six to 17 can partake in a junior program that the College runs in and around the Alumni Gym, a program that includes swimming, arts and crafts, and various games.

The classes of 1947, 1952, 1957, 1962, 1977 and 1982 are also celebrating reunions during varying four to five-day periods between June 7 and June 17.