FNR brings pair of emerging Brooklyn bands to FUEL

These last couple weeks are like the seventh-inning stretch of Winter term. So what to do with your last full weekend up in Hanover? Cursing GreenPrint at 4 a.m. in Novack? Check. Hookah at Sigma Nu? Been there. Formal at Sigma Alpha Epsilon? Done that. Free rock show with bands so famous that they're available on iTunes? Well, then this weekend just got interesting.

Riding high on the success of their previous Winter term show, Friday Night Rock is back for a second round with two Brooklyn-based bands that Carmen Kilpatrick '09 calls some of the "most accessible" that Dartmouth has seen all year. "+/-" ("PLUS/MINUS" on iTunes) will be headlining this Friday's show in the FUEL Rocket Lounge, with Bishop Allen opening.

"+/-" is characterized by an atmospheric blend of electronic beats, guitar and drums that is at once reminiscent of The Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie, Sufjan Stevens and Mates of States (who performed at FNR a few years ago).

"Upon first hearing them, I really enjoyed their chill sound," Samuel Peck '10 said. "They reminded me of [The] Postal Service. I'm looking forward to seeing them live."

According to Sean Garren '07, "+/-" is "actually electro-pop," but he clarifies that "they use keyboard loops and melodies in a subtle way that makes them sound much more natural, with a strong guitar and distinct, bouncy beats."

The trio that constitutes "+/-" came into being when founder James Baluyut decided to go solo, leaving his brother Ed's band, Versus. He self-produced his debut album, "Self-Titled Long-Playing Debut Album," in 2002. Patrick Ramos later joined the group, playing guitar and singing, as did Chris Deaner, who crafted the hyperactive drumming for which "+/-" is now so well-known.

In 2004 they released an EP, "Holding Patterns," followed shortly thereafter by their full-length album entitled "You Are Here."

After touring in Japan and playing at South by Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas, "+/-" signed with Absolutely Kosher and released their third full-length CD, "Let's Build a Fire," in late 2006.

Just two days ago, "+/-" released a split EP through Teenbeat Records with their Japanese tour mates, Bloodthirsty Butchers. The group received more mainstream recognition with a track on the "Wicker Park" soundtrack in 2004.

Opening act Bishop Allen was started in 2001 by Harvard graduates Christian Rudder and Justin Rice. Drummer Jack Delamitraux complements these two guitarists, and all three share vocal duties.

They self-produced their debut album, "The Charm School," in 2003, and, like "+/-", achieved movie soundtrack fame with a song in 2004's indie hit "Saved!" The group embarked on an ambitious, yearlong release schedule with 12 EPs in 2006. These 12 disks corresponded to the months of the year and were released with four tracks on each.

Rolling Stone recognized Bishop Allen's "sharp, jangly guitars with catchy melodies and big choruses" as "addictive," calling their work "charmed harmonic bliss." The group was signed by indie label Dead Oceans this past month and is currently working on their third album.

Doors to the FUEL Rocket Lounge open at 9:30 p.m. Friday, with Bishop Allen set to grace the stage at 10 p.m. Admission, food and drinks are free.

So before the advent of finals when all hell breaks loose, Kilpatrick recommends this "chill, enjoyable" show. As it turns out, your musical taste does not even have to be all that sophisticated.

"Even Hanover High kids would enjoy themselves at '+/-'," Kilpatrick said of the group's versatility. "This, however, is not an invitation for Hanover High kids to come to the show."