1 on 1

The D: How's the squash team shaping up this year?

JC: We are off to a hot start with a 6-1 record. Last year we finished seventh in the country, and we are looking to replicate or improve on that finish this year. We lost two key starters, but the gaps have been filled by freshmen Mike Shrubb '10 and Dan Wagman '10.

The D: A hot start perhaps attributable to fearless senior leadership?

JC: The seniors have played an influential role in shaping the meek little freshmen into trash-talking, cross-checking racquet wielders. They have really taken to our team mantra and now punish their opponents with penetrating length.

The D: Good to hear everyone's falling into line. There was a time, however, when you were a freshman. During that first year, did you have a "welcome to college squash" moment?

JC: Certainly. As you know, we rub elbows with some of the biggest and baddest. I saw this first hand against Navy, as the Midshipmen fans banged on the glass and intimidated with their "Balls Deep" shirts. Quivering with fear for obvious reasons at the outset, I managed to get on that court, play my game and despite a couple of skinned knees, I pulled out the W. This victory gave me the confidence to know that I could hang with anyone.

The D: Most of the current team had the opportunity to practice against Ryan Donegan '05, a member of the U.S. national team. What was trying to keep up with him like?

JC: Playing a match against Ryan is like playing Carl "Twista" Mitchell rhymes at chipmunk speed. You put your best foot forward, and before you thought possible, he drops it on you before you can gather your wits. Ryan demonstrated the singular devotion you need to soar over the competition and showed us all what it means to train hard.

The D: How do you balance squash and your commitment to the Generic Good Morning Message? Is it keeping you from realizing your full potential? Perhaps more importantly, is it worth it?

JC: You know, it's weird. I actually achieve the sharpest mental acuity when I am on court. Countless GGMM ideas have come to me while locked up in the fifth game. Sometimes, being slightly distracted improves sporting performance.

The D: You know something else that's weird? Certain members of the men's golf team have been overheard attributing the best golf swing on campus not to a member of the team, but to you. Can you confirm these rumors?

JC: Golf was my first love. I was a one handicap in high school and still play on the odd spring afternoon. Sadly, I don't play at that same level now but I have been known to give a few tune-ups in the basement to golf team members while reminiscing about my glory days.

The D: OK, time for the big finish. Squash players often sport rolled-up bandanas as headbands. The rule of thumb seems to be, the better the player, the more colorful the headband. How good do you need to be to wear a florescent one?

JC: Rule of thumb on the college circuit is you must be top 10 ranked individually or Todd Wood to rock the florescent. I usually stick with white myself. My biggest bandana faux pas to date was wearing a South African flag bandana gangsta-style against Trinity for intimidation. The South African natives on the team, slightly slighted, came out breathing fire. It was not a pretty match.